22

CHAPTER TWENTY TWO | HEARTBREAK TIME

__________

love her, but leave her wild.

-to kill a mockingbird // harper lee

__________

Bella stood in Liz's bedroom, looking into the full sized mirror. The velvety blue material whisked around her knees, slightly tickling her skin. Blowing out her lips, Bella slowly ran her hands down the dress, against the velvet grain. The sensation sent a tingle up Bella's arm.

"Hey!" Liz exclaimed, waltzing out of her bathroom. "You look great. Why are you so frowny?"

Liz was wearing a sweet, pink dress with a light floral print decorating it. Her hair was down in loose curls. She looked just as sweet and pretty as she was on the inside. Bella smiled widely at her best friend.

"Do you think it's stupid of me to, like, take Peter back, or whatever?" Bella muttered, fiddling with the hem of her dress.

Liz scoffed loudly, her heels clacking against her floor as she walked over to Bella. She gripped Bella's wrists tightly.

"I think Peter's a great guy," Liz said after a moment, her words saturated in the honesty Bella loved. "He's just kind of an idiot."

Bella snorted quietly. Liz rolled her eyes.

"Look, Bells, Peter Parker is absolutely in love with you. He has been forever, okay? He's not cheating on you or anything ridiculous that Abby might have suggested to you. He's just an idiot who can't remember dates."

"You think?" 

"Yes. Now, put on some lipstick."

Bella laughed quietly as Liz shoved a tube of Tarte lipstain into her hand. As Bella and Liz were perfecting their makeup, Liz's mom knocked.

"Girls? Bella's date is here."

Liz smirked quietly and elbowed Bella in the side before grabbing her purse and sauntering downstairs. Sighing heavily, Bella looked up at the ceiling and reluctantly followed after Liz. Something was telling her tonight wouldn't go as well as she hoped it would. However, almost all worries left her mind when she saw how handsome Peter looked in his dark gray suit. He was even wearing a blue tie that matched the exact shade of her dress.

"Well, don't you two look beautiful!" Mr. Allan exclaimed, clapping Peter on the back.

"Don't embarrass Bella, Dad," Liz quipped, looking between her father and Peter.

"Don't they, Pete?" Mr. Allan asked, shooting Peter a look.

"Yeah," Peter almost gasped, his eyes stuck on Bella. "You look beautiful... both of you."

He hadn't even looked at Liz. Noticing this, Liz winked at Bella, wiggling her eyebrows. Bella refrained from pinching Liz's arm.

"Is that a corsage for Bella?" Liz asked Peter, smirking gently.

Still somewhat stunned, for whatever reason, Peter nodded and held out the plastic container to Bella. Arching an eyebrow, she took it from him and slid the corsage onto her own wrist. Something was up.

"Well, hey," Mr. Allan spoke up. "I'm your chauffer, so let's get this show on the road."

"We need pictures!" Mrs. Allan said. "Look at how nice Bella and her boyfriend look together."

Mr. Allan looked at Bella with wide eyes. She giggled quietly and tugged Peter closer to her.

"Smile," Bella sing-songed in Peter's ear.