13

CHAPTER THIRTEEN | NIKE, GODDESS OF VICTORY

__________

there are things i'd rather whisper and never quite say out loud.

-virginia woolf

__________

Bella was having a particularly good time with her lips on Peter's and her legs wrapped around him when Alex texted her. With the first text, Bella ignored the buzzing and just tangled her hands further into Peter's hair. It was blissful, and Bella really liked kissing Peter – something that had recently become her favorite activity.

But then three more texts buzzed into her phone. Groaning, Bella detached her lips from Peter's and picked up her phone.

"Ugh," she said, flopping back down on Peter's bed. "Alex says I need to get home, like, now."

"But we haven't even studied yet," Peter whined, pulling at her waist to wrap his arms around her. "English test tomorrow, Bells."

"Yeah, and Alex thinks I've been studying for the past two hours," Bella reminded him teasingly, poking at his rather hard bicep.

She found it odd how muscular Peter actually was when he appeared to be incredibly scrawny and skinny. Bella also knew he didn't have a gym membership or anything like that so she had no idea how he was in better shape than most people she knew. She had seen him eat. That boy did not care about vegetables at all.

"One more kiss," Peter requested.

"Ugh, Parker, you're so clingy," Bella teased as she kissed him again.

"You're just as bad," he mumbled against her lips. And then he pulled away. "I'll walk you home."

"You're going to walk me home so that you seem like a good boyfriend but in reality you just wanna dumpster dive for old electronics," Bella huffed. "I see right through you, Parker."

"Not trusting your own boyfriend's devotion to you? When I have that adorable picture of you next to my bed?" Peter scoffed. "You've got some serious issues, Bella."

"Yeah, and you don't, Parker?" she retorted, a wide grin on her face.

He rolled his eyes and opened the door of his bedroom. Aunt May hadn't been home ( the reason why she and Peter were able to just make out in his room for two hours without interruption, she suspected ) so Peter just walked right out of the apartment.

"We really should have studied a little bit," Bella muttered, biting her lip. "I haven't even read Huck Finn."

"You're totally screwed," Peter told her.

"Um, SparkNotes and Shmoop are a thing, thank you very much," Bella scoffed, sticking her tongue out at him as they walked hand-in-hand.

"It's a wonder you have an A in that class."

"Let's call it divine intervention," Bella said with a sigh, collapsing into the last empty seat on the train.

The train ride was short but crowded. Bella hated taking the train and had hated it ever since she was able to teleport. Everything else just felt slow. But Peter, being the romantic and sweet boyfriend he was, insisted on walking her home ( because "The streets aren't safe, Bella! We have superheroes for a reason!" ). And with Peter by her side, Bella couldn't teleport, because Peter couldn't know she was Poltergeist.

As the train came to a stop, Bella and Peter shoved their way out and walked up to the street. When they arrived at Bella's building, Bella pulled her hand from Peter's.