10

CHAPTER TEN | GETTING BY WITH FRIENDS

__________

who would believe the fantastic and terrible story of our survival?

__________

When Bella arrived at school on Thursday, especially early so that they could start to plan the spring homecoming dance, Liz was waiting for her with a wide smile and latte in hand.

"This is for you," Liz said, pulling Bella into a hug. "I also got you a chocolate donut from Krispy Kreme."

"Starbucks and Krispy Kreme?" Bella said, biting her lip. "You must want something from me."

"No," Liz disagreed, hooking her arm around Bella's. "You're my best friend. I can see when you're not having the best of times. I know a latte and donut isn't gonna fix your depression, but any tiny spark of happiness is worth something, right?"

Bella felt like she was going to cry. She stopped and all but tackled Liz into a giant, bone crushing hug.

"You're the best friend I could ever ask for. I love you so much, Liz."

"I love you too," Liz said with a small laugh. "Oh, also, my parents told me to invite you over for dinner tomorrow night."

"That'll be a lot of fun," Bella agreed, running a hand through her hair. "I take it your dad is back from his business trip?"

"Yeah," Liz sighed. "He makes a ton of money, which is great, but he's never home. You know? I miss him a lot when he's gone. But enough of this sappy crap. You need to control the homecoming planning committee. Betty's trying to make it Avengers themed."

"Oh, I love Captain America and Nike!" Bella said with a slight grin. "Favorite crime fighting couple. Total goals."

"What about Poltergeist and Spider-Man?" Liz said, arching an eyebrow.

"No," Bella said, making a displeased face.

She liked Peter, not Spider-Man. If she was going to be a couple with someone, it was going to be Peter. She and Peter had almost kissed, like, five times. Bella bit down on her lip.

"Whatever, let's just plan this dance. I gotta get my mind off this depression bout. Hopefully, I'll be back to normal soon. I only had one emotional breakdown yesterday compared to my average of three per day," Bella told Liz.

At lunch that day, Bella felt happiness seeping back into her body. For a day in March, it was surprisingly warm, so she and her friends were sitting outside on the front steps eating. It was a nice moment, very peaceful.

Abby was going on about her Sweet Sixteen that she was planning for her birthday next month.

"My parents rented out the ballroom at The Winthrop," Abby said, her red painted lips pulled into a huge grin. "It's gonna be so elegant. Everybody needs to dress nicely. It will also be invitational only."

"Abs, maybe take it down a notch on the whole rich-bitch thing, maybe?" Marissa suggested.

Arden giggled and gave Marissa a fist-bump. Arden and Marissa's legs were tangled together and they were sitting very close. Bella locked eyes with Marissa and raised her eyebrows. Marissa flushed.

"Oh, Mar, you know our darling Abigail can't help but smear her privilege in the faces of everyone else," Cara sighed. "She's like Glinda before she became friends with Elphaba."

"Shut up," Abby scowled, crossing her arms. "I'll take you off the guest list."

"Then I'll crash," Marissa fired back.