Chapter Three:

Chapter Three:

One by one the names got called out. The children fearfully walking up to the stage, and the leaders carefully inspecting them. And one by one they left, being pulled into certain groups.

Most of the children went into one group that seemed to contain the 'newbies, but on some rare occasion they got pulled into an older group.

"Oviana Otriz." The speaker called, searching for the owner of the name. Slowly a girl rose, the same girl I took a beating for. She was tall and thin with dark blond hair and green eyes that swam with fresh tears. She took small shuffling steps to the stage, shaking and avoiding contact.

Cole smirked at the girl, obviously entertained at her weak and emotional state.

The leader that took in most of the younger kids looked her over, "Such scrawny arms... won't be good for much..."

A tall girl, one of leaders, stepped up to look at Oviana. "Hmmm.." She hummed, walking circles around Oviana.

"I-I'm not scrawny." Oviana said, holding her head higher slightly.

"Look at yourself, girl! Your practically a pole with legs." Cole said, making everyone laugh, everyone except Oviana and I.

"Am not!" The girl's voice was slowly rising to a yell.

"Beta claims the girl." The nice looking and very tall girl said and smiled as she placed her hand on Oviana's shoulder. She quickly guided her towards a group of older looking kids, who were all grinning at her.

Wonder why the picked her... Why wasn't she with the other kids...? I thought quietly to myself, unanswered questions and several possibilities filling my mind.

"Julie Haze." The speaker announced, calling me to the stage. I frowned and walked to the platform. I wasn't happy, or nervous, but angry. Angry that I'm here, angry that I couldn't hide longer, and especially angry at Cole, who was currently smirking. I watched him as he whispered in the Beta leader ear, the women who claimed Oviana. Her eyes widened and nodded. I wonder what he said... I said to my self, looking at the now surprised leader.

I stood on the plat form, looking at everyone. I got several strange looks from different people, some surprised, others looked envious, and few impressed. I saw that the leaders all walked forward to look at me. One of them including Cole.

"Ah the rebel." Cole said, walking around me in circles.

"Shut up, you'll never be the man your mother was." I snapped, getting several gasp's, 'ooh's,' and scowls from several people.

Cole straightened to his full height, looking me in the eye. "Shame... you must of been so pretty once." He punched me in the jaw.

I staggered back a few steps, saying "You should hit me again, maybe it'll hurt this time."

Cole opened his mouth to speak but the announcer interrupted him, "Enough! Now, who claim's this girl?"

Silence filled the room. I looked around the room, glancing at each leader. Each of them shook their heads or gave me a blank look. My eyes landed on Cole, seeing he was smirking at me. "I knew you weren't going to be claimed. Your worthless and cause too much trouble."

"Well, that's exactly what we're looking for..." My head snapped to the unknown voice in the crowd, I saw a familiar figure. Tyler... I thought to my self, remembering the image of when I first met him. He walked confidently towards the stage to the other leaders and myself, though he was limping.

"Sorry I'm late..." Tyler trailed off, standing in line with the rest of the leaders. "I needed to freshen up a bit, did I miss anything" He asked glancing at the other superiors, all shaking their head or mumbling a 'no.'