7: Rest in Flames

Beginne am Anfang

"Yes sir." I say stiffly, hating the fact that I am completely giving into the demands of my father in law without a choice.

"Astrid?" Ove calls behinds me and takes my hand to follow him into the kitchen. I see he has prepared a plate of fresh bread from the market place that morning and eggs which his nurse picked up yesterday. A lovely glass of freshly pressed orange juice sits beside the plate and a lovely vase with an orange flower sticking out to brighten my view.

"This is all for me?" I stand back astonished with the image that sits in front of me, could it be real?From Ove?

"Yes it is all for you, I got help from the nurse to cook the egg but that's it! I swear I did everything else myself." Ove pronounces quite proud. It's not like him to not get his male proudness out of the way for his personality to show.

I sit on the sack of potatoes Ove has placed on the floor for me infront of a small table which the plate steams upon.

"So I have planned our honeymoon already out in the ocean in a boat. We can sail along the southern aisles and not have a worry in the world for a whole week. How does that sound?" Ove shovels the food off his plate into his mouth and wipes his lips clean before confirming his question.

I consume the first bite of food and nearly choke.

"Where are you going to get a boat?" I swallow hard to avoid a coughing fest to get a small piece of bread out of my lungs.

"I have a boat, I've always had one, we just use it for fishing." he smiles.

So for the first time I am able to leave my sector of orange tag people he wants me to go fishing? Men will take their sons after they reach certain age or achieve a certain milestone in their lives, not a honeymoon for a wife.

Behind me I sense a person standing against the door frame. Someone wearing a metal belt which clangs upon movement, something I remember Arvid wore. The reflection nods at Ove and he nods back.

"I have to go." he grabs the shoes of his by the door and prepares himself to leave with Arvid. "We should be home before lunch."

"Where are you going?" I tug the end of his jacket before he pulls so hard it slips from my fingers.

"The Market Place, Arvid and I are going to go see if we can help out at all, you stay and finish your breakfast dear, I'll bring you back something."

Arvid stood at the door for a brief moment and leaves the front door, beginning for the train but Ove stays behind for an extra second to fix his shoes.

"Be safe." I warn with a smile, like a wife should.

"Don't worry about me." he smiles and turns for the door. "Oh, umm." Ove looks back to face me and plants a light kiss on my lips. "I'll see you soon." he smiles.

With that the door slams behind me and I am stuck in a single room with Mr.Lyreborg. I turn to him to continue a conversation but as soon as I sit where Ove once sat he stands up handing me his empty glass.

"Take this to the kitchen will you?"

"Mr.Lyreborg sir, the kitchen is just out the room and to the left, I'm sure it's not too big of a hassle to clear your own glass." I say with the slightest amusement.

He stands back and cleans his teeth with his tongue under his half shaven lip. "Yes, but I told you to do it." He signals for the open door.

"Sir, it's right there."

"Then it shouldn't be an issue.... should it?" his maroon eyes are usually welcoming but now they stare me down so deeply I feel like he could crush me with his look alone. He slams his glass into my breastbone so hard I hear it hit the bone through my skin and carry my way to the kitchen without arguing further.