Gale cleared his throat and his gaze fell back to the table. "Nothing, she was just passing by."

He remembered how angry Matt had looked when he had pulled Mellisa away from him at the party. And now that annoyance, when he asked that question.

Matt said nothing and sat down. Gale caught Lou's smirk across the table and he glared. She turned to Isaac. "What's wrong with you?"

Isaac looked around the table, then pointed at himself. "Me?"

"Since when were you mean, even to lioness over there?" She questioned, giving him her full attention.

"Leave me alone, Lou."

She shrugged. "Where's Bran?"

"Am I his keeper?" He snapped, his hand going up to touch the lone stud on his ear lobe.

"Never said you were," she muttered, going back to her lunch. Gale and Emily shared a look, but said nothing.

Gale retreated into his own bubble of silence as the others, with the exception of a brooding Isaac who was suspiciously quiet, talked about the upcoming exams. He didn't even want to think about those. No matter how much he was distracted, he couldn't afford to fail, and not just because his dad would have his hide. He would lose his place on the team, and so far that was the only good thing going for him. If he could manage to salvage his image in the upcoming game.

The table suddenly went silent, and he looked up to catch sight of Lou staring at a point behind him, and he turned around to find George Edwards coming to a stand at the narrow end of the table.

George, referred to as Eddie by everyone, was captain to the school's basketball team and the official douche bag around, but more importantly to Gale, he was the one who his ex girlfriend had cheated on him with.

They didn't see eye to eye, they didn't talk to each other, and they didn't cross each others paths.

Which was why Gale was surprised to see him there, an arrogant smirk on his face, his blond hair tousled all over the place as if someone had been running their hands through it.

"So, Anderson, is it true?" He asked, arching an eyebrow at him.

Gale could practically feel Emily seething beside him, dying to say something.

"What's true?" He asked, giving him a blank look.

Eddie shot up his brow, in a taunting manner. "That Olivia Summers is coming back."

As much as Gale could have wanted to go on with his don't care attitude, that caught him by surprise, and his lips twisted to the side, one corner disappearing between his teeth.

"What? Where did you hear that?" Lou shrieked, dropping her fork to her plate with a clang.

"He's joking," Emily said, her eyes narrowed at the tall guy standing over them.

"I'm not, and she will be here next term." His blue eyes dropped back to Gale. "Will you be wanting her back? I heard she got hotter, I wouldn't mind going back for seconds."

Gale had never been impulsive. As a leader he had learned to take things in stride, looking from all angles and considering the consequences, deciding the best way to handle them. Right now, though, he felt an unbidden rage sweep through his system, blinding him to all sort of thought.

Later on, he wouldn't know how he had done it, but the moment the last word was out of Edwards' lips, he was tackling him to the ground, the other guy taken by complete surprise and taking the hit fully.

Gale now sat astride the other captain, pummelling into his face, getting in as much punches as he could before Eddie finally got a grip and started fighting back.

There were sounds around them. Emily and Lou screaming for him to stop, a couple other shouts encouraging them to keep going at it, and someone trying to pull him away from the jerk. But then Eddie managed to flip him over and now he was the one with his back pressed against the ground, receiving hard punches on his jaws, Eddie's knuckles digging in and leaving searing pain behind. They rolled around some more, each one getting his hits in, but not even the sharp tang of blood in his mouth was enough to stop Gale.

__________________________________

"Stop shouting!" Gale groaned when Emily wouldn't shut up, which made his head pound even more.

"I'm not shouting," Emily claimed, then took deep breaths as if to calm herself.

Gale winched as the school nurse pressed a wet wad of cotton to the bruise on his lower lip, the sharp smell of methylated spirit almost making him gag. He wondered why she wasn't asking Emily to leave.

"Why would you go and do that, Gale? Do you know how much trouble you are in now?" Emily asked just as the nurse moved away.

He sighed. "I know."

The principal had already informed his dad he had been handed a three day suspension for fighting on school grounds, and given the fact his parents were nowhere near forgetting his intoxication the previous weekend, he might as well as have jumped from the pan to the fire. They were going to think he was a teenager who was acting up, that he was being difficult.

"This was your first indiscipline case, though. Doesn't that only warrant a warning and punishment, did they have to suspend you?"

Gale shrugged and immediately regretted the action as a sharp pain seared though his right shoulder. "Coach was around the office when we went in. He was livid. He's the reason I got suspended."

And he wouldn't be playing in the game that weekend, either. What a shit week.

The nurse, a homely middle aged woman who was not much taller than Emily, came back and put a plaster on his left temple, and another one on his cheek.

"I still don't get why you did it," Emily insisted, bringing her hand up to chew on her nail.

He wasn't actually pissed because of what Eddie had said about Olivia, was he? Did he still think about her? After what she had done to him?

"It was bound to happen one day," he muttered.

"You don't still care about her do you?" She asked bluntly, studying his face.

"I haven't thought about her in months. Can we not talk about this, please?" He asked, dropping from the nurse's examination table.

Emily sighed. "Okay."

The nurse handed him painkillers for the pains scattered all around his body, then he limped his way out of the sick room, Emily following. Lou was waiting for them outside, carrying his backpack.

Lou took a cursory look around his face and grimaced. "If it's any consolation, his face looks worse than yours. Two black eyes. I see he didn't get you there."

"Yeah I think that sounds good for my looks," Gale muttered, taking his bag from her. "Thanks. I'll see if Bran can bring me notes in the evenings."

"So, is it true?" Lou asked, looking between the two of them.

"What?" Gale asked.

"That she is, you know, coming back."

Gale started walking away. "I don't care and I don't give a fuck."

__________________________________________________

Keep reading, things are about to get a little twisted.