Chapter 6 - The Under Realms

Start from the beginning

“Why not?”

“They just didn’t think it possible.”

“But you’ve changed.”

“I know they just think humans are… under developed.”

“Well, what does that mean?”

She sneered awkwardly, “Just don’t let them bother you.”

What looked like stone columns stood either side of what must have been the entrance or ‘doorway’ leading into what could only be described as the foyer in human terms.  Obviously it was just stone, sand and seaweed with some anemone here and there.

There were ‘room’ separated by large slate coloured stones which formed a sort of wall for privacy, but here and there were more Merfolk staring out at us.  They didn’t look nearly as human as Isla or her sisters.  Even though her sisters had webbed hands and glowing green skin, Isla was definitely the most human looking, except for me.  All of them had colourful hair, even those whose hair was black seemed to shine beautifully, but I was the only one with hair that looked close enough to be golden.

We reached, at last, what must be considered as the throne room.  There were eight seats in all that sat around the walls, the tallest and largest, fit for a king, sat in the midst of all these chairs.  Most of Isla’s sisters were here, and though they’d all come up to sing at Christmas, I only knew a couple of their names.

The beautiful Coralia with her pearly pink hair gave a small smile of welcome whilst the rest of them merely nodded or arched a brow to let me know they were acknowledging my presence.

The seats they sat on, even the main throne, were all just stone with a curve for the Mermaids to sit, kneel or hang in.  Neither of them seemed to sit like humans did, possibly because they weren’t human and tails instead of legs.  They all looked at me peculiarly when I sat with my ‘bottom’ down and my back to the wall.  It was incredibly uncomfortable so I opted to lean against it instead.

No one said a word and Isla made no move to introduce me to her sisters who were present at the time.  Smiling serenely to herself, Isla led me to an empty guest chair near the front of the room before moving to some sort of device on the wall next to where we’d just entered.

Two carved stones were held apart by a stringy rope that looked more like seaweed.  On the floor was a large pile of white and black pearls, Isla lifted a large black one and placed it upon the bottom stone and sliced at the ropes of the upper stone with a sharp looking blade.

The carved stone dropped at once, crushing the black pearl beneath it but it clacked loudly around the cave.

“It’s a means of summons.” Isla explained.  “When we want all the Royals gathered in the throne room.  As long as your within the cavern, you can’t miss it.”

“They were supposed to wait here with us,” said Coralia, “but they got bored and decided to find something to eat for this evenings’ banquet.”

“Well, I hope they have succeeded in getting a fare some of the produce.  I’d hate to think they’d just abused this time away to laze around.” Said a sister whose name I didn’t know.

“Exactly what is it you eat?” I asked Isla, who was now sitting on the seat to the right of the main throne.

“Just weeds and flowers mostly.”

“No fish?”

Isla and Coralia giggled.

“What?”

“Reese, that would be like eating cats and dogs to you.”

“Okay, but, most of us, eat cows and pigs and such.  Don’t you eat any meat?”

“Only if crops become rare.” Said the nameless sister.  “Then we head further out where we’re likely to find a shark or killer whales.”

I choked.  “You actually go hunt for those creatures?”

“Well, yes.” The mermaid said surprised.  “We can go months without nutrition but we do need to keep up our energy.  We expend a lot of that with our tails which we use for swimming and attacking the fiercest sea creatures.”

“And the fiercer they are, the stronger they are.” Explained Coralia.  “We’re much stronger than them, don’t worry.  We don’t hunt for them unless it’s absolutely necessary.”

“How often do you run out of crops.”

“Not that often.” Said Isla.  “It all depends on the community to care for and nourish the sea plants.  About fifty years ago most of our community moved to distant realms after a dangerous predator threatened our lives here.”

“What kind of predator?” I asked.

“A human.” There was a pointed look in her eyes and it didn’t take me long to figure out which human she meant.

“Gerrard Knox.”

“You know of him?” asked Coralia.

“I’ve met him.  His granddaughter is my best friend.  Didn’t you tell them what happened on your birthday?” I asked Isla.

“We’ve all been wondering why you haven’t been to visit our human kin in so long.” Said the nameless Mermaid.  “What happened?”

“It is not important.” Isla said firmly.

“Is that our sisters I hear?” Coralia asked to change the subject and rid the room of filling tension.