Chapter 1 - Graduation

credit to @ice-breaker for the amazing trailer! thanks a bunch :D

____________________________________________________________________________

The smell of sweat and ink lingered around the court yard outside the school.  It was a very hot sticky day in June and almost all the parents and guardians of the kids in senior year were assembled in seats just beyond the 'stage' set up out here.  We were just having another quick round of yearbook signing before they started calling out our names.

'Have a nice summer, Reese!  Hope to see you UMaine x' – Jenny Anders

'Take care, Reese.  Wish we could've spent more than senior year with you.' – Xander Jackson

'Hey, loser, yeah I said it!  You're not getting rid of me so easily! Love Ivy xx'

The deputy principal came out then and set us all out in alphabetical order.  Since my surname was Rhodes I was somewhere near the back of the crowd far away from my friends who were Burns, Church, Hastings and Knox.

The band kicked in as Principal Williams called out, "Abbot, Chloe." The first student to graduate.  There was a short round of applause and cheers as each student stepped to receive their diploma.

As the line started to dwindle I stood and took stock over everything that led me to this moment.  Losing Ella, losing mom and dad.  Gaining a step family that I hated.  Moving in with my gramps, Harry.  Falling in love with the star quarterback, Matt.  Falling out with my crush, Tyler.  Befriending the strangest group of friends and... oh, yeah!  Discovering about my Mermish lineage.

"Rhodes, Cindy Reese!" the principal called.

Oh, no!  Don't vomit and don't trip on your robes.  Don't forget to switch your tassel around! I berated myself.  As I neared the steps to the platform I inched up the hem of my robe so as not to fall flat on my face.  I looked up, smiled, then shook the principal's hand and the mayor's whom also gave me my diploma.

Then it was over and I remembered how to breathe again.  It wasn't till I stepped off the stage that I even noticed Harry and my great aunt Martina waving and screaming madly at me.  I laughed and took my seat as the remainder of senior year was called onto stage.

Ivy wasn't allowed to leave the stage just yet.  After receiving her diploma she had to sit at the back of the stage with all the teachers.  She had been elected Valedictorian.  It was the first time I'd seen her look nervous.  She kept fidgeting in her seat whilst still holding that frigid smile in place.  Her fingers crossed and uncrossed; fists clenched and then unclenched until Principal Williams introduced her to the crowd.

Ivy took to the podium and shook the Principals hand thanking him for the introduction.  She cleared her throat and rested her notes in front of her by the mic.

"Thank you Principal Williams.  The senior year has a lot to be thankful about." Ivy started, her voice quivering silently and then confidently smoothing out.  "We're thankful for our teachers' unwavering devotion to our education and we are thankful to their support and that of our families.  Whatever challenges we face in life we're thankful for these last four years of preparation.  And we are thankful for each other, for our friendships.  No matter which clique or society we belong to we all have someone to turn to for a shoulder to cry on after all the stress of exams."  There was some laughter at this.  "Or the support of studying alongside us into the wee hours of the morning.  Caffeine filled and jittery, we thank you." Laughter again.  "Even though this is the end of high school we'll always carry these friendships with us forever.  They may be tried and tested over time but we have learned over these past four years how important and highly we hold each other."

Ivy took a deep breath here and looked for me in the crowd.

"Keep going." I mouthed to her.

"These last four years has been a cakewalk, let's face it." She said, the old Ivy swagger coming through as the students clapped and laughed.  "We do not know what lies ahead but we must face it head on without fear or prejudice.  We must seize opportunities of happiness and success and not be discouraged when things do not go to plan but keep on working and striving towards excellence.  We may look to our families for hope, inspiration or support from time to time but we're grown ups.  Adults.  We're on the edge, the precipice of a new era and I know it is extremely daunting and tempting to hide and... but we can't!  The future is what we make it.  We're responsible for ourselves now." She sighed, but smiled.  "The sun is shining down on us today class of 2012!  I predict a warm, bright, glorious future ahead.  Congratulations class of 2012... we did it!"

Camera's flashed, caps flew in the air and high school was finally over.  What a relief!