Floyd rolled his eyes, "just as soon as the others arrive."

Carlton's smile widened.

"Is there a reason why your here?" Floyd's patients had run thin at the boys arrogance.

"Just wanted to say goodbye to my mayor before he ventures out into the world." Carlton lied.

"Oh cut the crap Carlton!" Floyd spat, "you didn't even know me before all of this."

Before Carlton had the chance to respond more people began to file into the room.

The four that Floyd had instructed to meet him here had arrived with half their belongings in tow and Floyd was a little dumbfounded. He wasn't sure how they thought they were going to carry all of it around indefinitely.

"No cars work after the bombs." He told them. "There's no way we can take all of that."

He continued to tell the group that the only luggage that was acceptable would be essential supplies. Personal belongings would only hinder their chances of survival.

"There's a car that works on market street." One of the arrivals told Floyd. "It's an older car with no onboard computers."

Floyd frowned but with interest. "How do you know it works? is it your car Ryan?"

"No it's not mine," he replied, "I had a wander to other day trying to find anything that still works. That was one that I found."

This was good news if it was true, Floyd thought. It would make their chances better.

"I think it only survived because it's old," Ryan told the group. "Made of basic tech that wasn't effected by any EMP."

"That's great." Floyd smiled, "Ryan go fetch it for us."

It didn't change the fact people couldn't take personal belongings along. With the five of them that were leaving plus the new recruit, Leila, it was going to be a very tight fit in any car. Not much room for extras.

There were a few grumbles at the idea of leaving their stuff but everyone knew Floyd was right and began to separate out the essential supplies.

"By the way everyone, this is Leila." Floyd introduced to the room. "She arrived from Dinford last night and will be joining us."

Mrs Williams, through a coughing fit was less than impressed at the addition of someone else. It was not an instant dislike, but she noticed quickly that Leila had no possessions at all. That meant no food or water.

"Do we have to give up our rations for her?" She asked abruptly before breaking into another coughing spasm.

Floyd noticed spots of discolouration that resembled bruising on mrs William's arm as she raised her hand to cover her mouth. He was no expert but he had seen enough cases over the last few days to know she was suffering from radiation poisoning. The dose she had received was not as strong as other victims as she was still alive, but Floyd feared it wouldn't be long.

"No Carol, I'm sure we can find some spare around town for Leila too." Floyd responded to her concern.

Carol felt a little better about the new arrival now. After all she did believe in safety in numbers, as long as they didn't consume her supplies.

"If she came from Dinford," Carlton interrupted, "why did she leave there?"

Leila gave a false smile as she realised people were a little sceptical about her presence and decided to explain herself instead of letting Floyd do all the talking.

"I was taken prisoner to Dinford," she told the group, "I'm here now because I managed to escape."

Carlton looked at her with an expression of doubt. "Prisoner? By whom? Why would they do that?"

"I don't know," Leila replied although deep down she knew. "They killed my friend and kidnapped me."

"Sounds a bit far fetched to me." Carlton dismissed her story.

"The world will show people for who they really are now," Floyd interjected getting more irritated by Carlton as time passed, "from what I have been told these people of Dinford fancy themselves as dictators. Leading their towns and people on a dangerous path that will eventually result in civil wars."

"Huh! That's a bit extreme isn't it," Carlton spat, the whole idea sounded absurd.

"Trust me, there is going to be lots of people fighting for control, and when they meet all hell is going to break loose." Floyd snapped back. "And I for one don't want to be around when that happens."

Carlton did not respond, but was actually thinking about what he had just been told, and as the group began to talk amongst themselves he exited unseen out of the room.

A plan of his own had developed from nowhere as he had listened to Leila's story and he wanted to slip away unnoticed.

He turned right out of the front door and began to head straight towards Market Street.

Dark Skyजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें