Angelic Demon or Demonic Angel?

I realize I might use a lot of horsey vocab in this book, so if you guys would like I could put a little glossary at the end of each chapter for any non-horse-oriented reader who is confused. If you think that is a good idea, please let me know. If you think that is a bad idea, please still comment!

~Horsegirl113

~~~~~~~

It wasn't until I picked up his bridle that I realized I had been looking forward to riding Demon. I had dealt with all the other horses that needed exercising first deciding it was better to ride before I get injured.

But it hadn't focused on it.

All day I'd been thinking about demon. What I could do with him, how we should work, what it would be like. Most importantly, how he would react to what he would do to what I had planned for today.

But I no longer faced our daily rides with the dread I used to.

In the past week and a half we had developed a sort of routine.

I get on...

He bucks...

He gallops around the ring like it's the track of the Kentucky Derby...

He jumps out, reaches the fence at the end of the field...

Spins around faster than can be imagined...

Charges back like it's a free for all with his legs...

We jump back into the ring, gallop around a couple of more time, then he gets bored and starts working properly as if nothing ever happened.

It was starting to get kind of fun.

And boy could he jump.

And gallop.

Too bad Dad would never let me race in the Grand National.

But today, since Chesmont would have an indoor, I was going to do his "Warm Up Routine" at home and then release him in a friend's indoor so it wouldn't come as a surprise to him at the show.

An indoor arena is basically an arena with a roof on top of it that means in the winter, when the snow comes in bucket loads just to spite us on the ground, the arena can still be used. It basically looks like a giant shed. But when horses have never seen indoors before they have a tendency to freak out.

That wasn't something I wanted Demon doing at Chesmont.

So, I would take him to an indoor a lot before Chesmont. But first I'd get him really tired at home so he didn't destroy said indoor.

Indoors in my county are coveted. Few people other than the rich, country club aristocracy have them. Those that do of then share them out with their friends and as a result indoor have become a sort of community get-together for horse people.

My friend, Daisy's, though, was old, small, and currently having the roof repaired so no one would be in it. In other words, it was the perfect place to "release the beast."

After working Demon for an hour straight, I was finally satisfied that he would be too tired to kill anyone. So, slipping a chain shank through his bit and attaching a rope, I dutifully lead my sweaty horse down the road.

Loading him onto a trailer was a problem for another day.

Daisy met me outside the indoor.

"Hey," She grinned, walking over to me, "Why's he all sweated up?"

To the several thousand pound animal next to me named Demon, the hundred pound, slender blond teenager calmly walking over clearly looked terrifying. So, he did the only logical thing. He danced from foot to foot and snorted like there was no tomorrow.