Chapter 4: The Debutant

My hands rested on his bare chest as he lay beside me in the dirt. A soft smile was lodged on his face as he watched me stir to consciousness. I looked up groggily, and was greeted by the eyes that reminded you of a forest after rain, the churning, passionate green that the ocean turns into during a storm. I felt my heart start to race as his hand cupped my cheek. We weren't cold even though it had rained during the night. Parrots and rainforest animals arose with the dawn and soon enough the sun began to rise. Patrick rose to his feet, throwing his shirt over his shoulder and pulling on his belt. I pushed my arm into the sleeve of my flannel shirt. 'What's the time?' I asked through a yawn.

'It's about 5:30,' he replied. 'Why, have you gotta be somewhere?' I felt a lump grow in my throat.
'Yes! 6 o'clock is opening I gotta be there in 15 minutes, we have to go!' I panicked, gathering up my composure. I grabbed Pat and I ordered him to run. We made it to the beach where we retrieved our shoes and then flew into the FJ. We were silent the whole way back to the shop. We pulled in slowly and he said, 'I have to go to Brisbane today for a training, I'll be back here on Thursday, meet me by the beach at 8 o'clock.' he smiled, taking my hand.
'I'll be there.' I replied kissing his soft lips.
'Thank you, Thank you for everything.' Patrick drew me close to him, his warm breath hitting my neck.
'No thank you.' I whispered pulling away and stepping into the shop, his face plastered in my mind. I was on edge as I walked inside the shop, I was beyond relieved that Mum hadn't gotten up yet. It was Dad who came out at exactly 6 on the dot.
'Guess what today is Brookie?!' He clapped, rubbing his hands together with a grin from ear to ear.
'I dunno Dad, the Ashes?' I rebutted with a smirk.
'That's my girl! Cricket's greatest rivalry over a tiny urn,' he laughed, 'who would've thought.'
England and Australia. Two of the world's most healthy countries, both very different but very much the same. I loved watching the two teams snarl and snicker at each other but then after the game seeing them all laugh about how stupid the rivalry really is. 

1:30 came around quick, our little shop was full of patrons, ready to watch the games that stop the nation. Dad switched on the Tele and it crackled to life, revealing England's team first.
'Bloody POM's!' Someone yelled. 

"Now please welcome Australia's opening batsmen Bill Lawry and Doug Waters!" 

These two were one of the best partnerships in the world, both averaged a half century most games. The two batted beautifully, sending the English fast bowler for four almost every ball, until the last ball of the 32nd over. Doug scooped it up and was caught at point, he was on 155. Our little crowd cursed and groaned as we watched the tiny Greg trek back to the club rooms, fist bumping the upcoming batsman. 

"Please welcome to the crease the incoming batsman for Australia, Patrick Carmondy!"

My eyes shot up so fast it made my head spin, it couldn't be, right?
"Let's go Paddy!" a group of young boys clapped. I pushed down into the front and put my focus onto the television. 

"Our debutant Paddy Carmondy at the crease, faces, beautiful cover drive for 4!" 

The crowd erupted as this 'Paddy' ran down the pitch. 

"He did extremely well in the first innings, hopefully he can continue on with his excellence." The commentators voice was very precise.
"Is this Paddy's last test before Vietnam?" The commentator asked.
"I think he’s finishing this series." Another added.
"Dunno but we're sure gonna miss him cause he's another four from our 20-year-old Patrick Carmondy!"

I sat back in awe, my Patrick Carmondy, the same man I kissed was playing cricket for Australia. The English bowler pushed the ball down, sending Patrick back and knocking the ball down leg side and up into the stands for 6. Everyone cheered, including me, this was unbelievable, what were the chances that a man like Pat, quiet, shy, humble, was smashing the biggest sixes ever seen at the Gabba.
'What a bloke!' A man said, a smile lodged on his face.
'Yeah, what a bloke.' I nodded.

8 o'clock on Thursday bought a sunburnt and very tired Patrick Carmondy back to Thornton beach. He was laying in the sand when I got there, his eyes closed and a soft smile on his lips. Australia had drawn with England in the first test for 1965, but Pat had made 190 of the 443 runs and I couldn't be prouder. My debutant received man of the match and had travelled all night and all day to get to me.
'Hello there Patrick Carmondy.' I smirked, my hands on my hips.
'Well, hello there Brooklyn Murphy.' he replied groggily.
'How was your training?' I asked, acting like I had no idea. Patrick sighed and sat up in the sand, he bought his hand to his face, examining his taped fingers.
'My training? Well, my third innings of my first test wasn't too bad.' He smirked, unravelling the strapping tape from his pointer finger.
'Wasn't too bad? Wasn't too bad?!' I got back on my feet, making Patrick laugh. '190 not out and you're telling me it wasn't too bad? Pat why didn't you tell me?!'  I screamed knocking him onto his back.
'Because sometimes a debutant keeps his performance to himself.' His laughter engulfed his words.
'Sometimes lying isn't a terrible thing.' I chuckled, pressing my lips against his. We were happy, our smiles wide and minds somewhere else. The sunset's colours settled on the water, transporting the two of us into a world of love and peacefulness. It's hard to imagine that I'd met a broken and confused man, in the shop my parents owned, fell in love so fast I didn't know which way was up and then I find out he's up there with the best batsmen in the world.
'Now you know.' Pat's eyes gazed into mine.
'Know what?'
'That the bloke who happens to be slightly obsessed with you, has managed to get himself into the Australian team.' He caressed my cheek.
Yes well, I might happen to be slightly obsessed with the highest run scorer of the team, but I mean why wouldn't I be.' We laughed as the night fell over us.