Fifteen years ago

"Oof!" I whimpered as I fell face on the hard gravel. Running with a broken rib, blackened eye and a broken knee was proving to be difficult. "Don't you dare run from me you b!tch!" Hearing those words was all the motivation I needed. I pushed myself up and ran into the forest across the street. I ran and ran until my six year old body could go no more.

I slouched against a tree and tried to put air in my lungs. After my breathing became normal I listened for my father. Praying that he was too drunk to follow me this far. When I was satisfied that no one was following me I leaned my head back and shut my eyes listening to the birds up in the trees and my heartbeat. After a while I allowed the darkness to take over me.
               ●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●

"Jake! Jake! Oh my God what happened?" A very panicked voice inquired.

"Momma I dunno, I found her in the forest sleeping." A worried voice answered. But this voice was closer. I opened my eyes and was greeted with a chest and lots of it. My eyes traveled up and I saw a neck, a chin, a pointy nose and then a face that couldnt be more than 10 years old with the bluest eyes I've ever seen.

The eyes turned my way and lit up once he saw I was awake. "Hello princess" Instantly I felt my cheeks heat up and a grin broke out on my face. "Hi." I replied. "Are you lost princess?" Blue eyes asked. I shook my head no. He nodded and placed me down. I didn't even notice we were inside now. Everything was white and clean. The place smelled like bleach and sanitizer. It's a hospital I concluded. But the nearest hospital from my house was at least an hour and a half away.

"Hey sweetie," a familiar voice greeted. This was the panicked voice from earlier. I smiled at the blonde haired woman. She was small and petite but there was an aura around her that was comforting and soothing like a mother. Something I wasn't too familiar with.

A man in a white coat came bursting through the door "I'm here! I'm here!" He yelled to no one in particular. He came to me immediately and started tending to my injuries. "Ouch! That hurts you dodo head!" I exclaimed when he touched my ribs. He looked taken back that a six year young just said that but a grin broke out on his face and he continued his work a little more tenderly.

"You wanna tell us what you were doing in the woods?" The lady asked. "I ran away." I stated and hung my head waiting for them to scold me. It was quiet for a while the only sounds heard were the doctors movements until blue eyes whose name I'm guessing is Jake came and sat next to me and held my hand. I looked up and he gave me a small smile while rubbing circles on my palm. "So why did you run away?"  He asked. "Because he was going to kill me."

I stated I swore everybody stopped breathing. "Who?" Jake gritted out. I looked up and his eyes were black. I gasped and was about to ask when he closed his eyes and opened them back and blue eyes were staring right back at me. "Who?" He asked a little more calmly. "My father." I answered. "Does he hit you often?" Jake's mother asked. I turned to face her and shook my head yes. That was a bad idea because as I shook my head I felt the room spin. "Lay down" the doctor instructed and I complied. I felt the darkness taking over me again.

But before I could go under I heard the doctor say " Luna she isn't going to make it. She's weak. Her body shows signs of malnutrition and no proper immune system."  "We can't just leave her to die!" That voice belonged to Jake's mother luna is her name I believe. "We wont." Said Jake. And the darkness consumed me.
             ●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●

Feathers. It felts like feathers tickling my cheek. I sighed and stretched feeling all my bones cracking. I opened my eyes and saw blue ones smiling down at me. "Hey princess." I couldn't help the smile that broke out on my face. I moved and sit up and gasped when I felt no pain at all. I looked at Jake and was still smiling like an idiot. Everything came back to me. The doctor said I wasn't going to make it. Yet here I am.