Chapter 10: Helium

Start from the beginning

"Going where?" I persisted him. Joel looks at me up and down and my cheeks go red. I had thrown on a pink skirt with matching jacket, the fabric had made the outfit expensive, with a matching hat.

Chanel had really outdone theirselves with it, burning a hole in my pocket that was nonexistent. I had the money, I hated spending it. My hair was done as it usually is- pin curled and brushed out a little bit. "You look fit for the occasion." Is the only response I could get out of him.

Joel took my hand and led me all the way into the White House's garage, where we got inside a black Rolls Royce. "Where are we going?" I ask again, hoping for an answer.

"We are going to greet some fans down by the gate line." My mouth pops open. He had just been shot!

"Are you crazy?!" I blurt out, he turns his head and looks at me, smirking.

"Yes, and you love it." He puts his hand on my thigh. I turn my head to my nearest window and smile to myself.

The amount of security that had to come out with us just to his damn fence was ridiculous. I've never seen so many Polaroid snaps in my life- and I'm "married" to the Prime Minister of Britain for Christ's Sakes!

Women were screaming, men were hollering for a slice of Joel's time. Joel shook as many hands as he could, he even took out a black marker and started signing whatever thing people stuck out.

He glanced at me, beaming with happiness at me. He's doing pretty good. I thought to myself, after all that worrying.

A few people asked for pictures with me, signatures, and even photos with Joel himself. I was overwhelmed to say the least.

Two Hours Later

  Two hours later we find ourselves in the White House pool. In a red bathing suit had been provided for me. "So, what brings you here, my dear Virginia?"

Joel had swam up to me while I sat on the pool steps, water only coming up to my waist. I look down at my feet in the water, avoiding the question.

"Hey, What is it? You can tell me, doll." Joel tilted my chin up and forced me to look at him.

"I'm here for you." I smile a small smile at him. That is all I can give. The crowd by the fence made me happy but that was only a temporary relief. Now I'm left with my thoughts.

L"I've finally divorced Oliver, well it's officially when he signs the damn papers." I look up at him, his eyes were widened, with a hint of darkness.

The darkness has always been there on his face - something eats him up inside. I wonder what.

"Are you sad?" He finally asks me, sitting beside me on the steps. I think about this question for a long time - too long if you ask me. I shake my head. Nope.

Joel squints his eyes, a confused look on his faces urges me to say something.

"The love died, Joel. I wasn't enough to save it, he wasn't man enough to help me." I was on the verge of tears. I was sad but I didn't want to be.

Just as Joel is about to say something, a man comes over to us at the pool, holding a newspaper in his hands. "Look at this!" His shouting echoes through the pool room. Joel gives him a grimacing look and snatched it from his hands, clearly annoyed at how he approached us.

It was a photo of us! On the front cover of the Washington Post!

"The Prime Minster's Wife Has Made Her Way To D.C. - Maybe A Secret Affair?"

The man that had barged in read the title of another newspaper article - the news was traveling fast.

Then it hit me, Oliver would see this! He would know where I am! What if this is used against me? I can't help but feel fear, when will I stop being fearful of this weak man?

I look over at Joel who is grinning at our photo - I can tell that we're going to have something much more than an affair. He is one of those people that I just feel the connection - I feel how powerful we could be together. If only I had met him first and fallen in love with him.

There's always time for falling in love; no matter how old you are, no matter what you've been through. I have hope for us.

———————————————————

I hope you liked this chapter! ✨ if you did, go ahead and vote ;)