Chapter Nine: Satan's Surname Is Campbell

Okay.

My life just got screwed big time.

It was bad already. But now, this is it. There's nothing further. Let me bid my goodbye's to the world.

I never should've trusted the idiots I have for friends.

I should've never given in.

But it was too late.

The head boy, the macho, the popular, the talented, the funny, the cool, the asshole-of-a-best friend Bryce had kissed me.

And there was no going back.

"I'm sorry if I took you by surprise, but this is what Logan needed," he whispered in my ear, his cool breath sending tickles down my neck. And with that, he turned and just walked away.

Like it wasn't a big deal.

Like the world had not come to an end.

Like everything was okay.

And his ignorance made my stomach churn. But I had to put my best smile on, act like the Princess found her Prince, and wait –– for I knew there was a lot more to come.

                                                         ************

I dodged the stares of the whole school and headed straight for class. Though, on entering I realized that class didn't look so comfortable either. It was divided into two: Team Pro April and Team Screw April.

Team Screw April was something like:

"How could he do that!" 

"He said that kissing was gross!"

"He chose April for his first kiss! I could've done so much better! Ugh!"

"The dude's out of his mind."

"Like seriously. I'm losing all my respect for that boy."

"He's feeding off leftovers?!"

"Maybe April tricked him into it, all the stardom in the world wouldn't suffice for her vain ego and crappy empty head."

"Yeah, 'cause her publicity stunt failed yesterday, something like this had to be coming."

While Pro April went something like:

"April and Bryce were made for each other. They've always been best friends, they're so cute together!"

"I know, they're perfect for each other."

 "April's got some balls there man."

"God she's one hottie –– what I'd give up for one night with her." EWW THAT'S GROSS.

"They're gonna star in the hottest teenage couples section."

 Sigh. Bless me.

"Attention class," announced Mr. Gilbert, our English professor. Mr. Gilbert, was a round man, with a balding head. He always reminded me of Cyrus from Gossip Girl. He was a smart man, probably in his late 40s, had an excellent flow with the language, and was something like a father figure to us. He was always calm and composed, and he put his efforts and love in whatever he did. Well today, he seemed to be snarling, huffing out smoke, and probably having a hot headed day... which was a rare exception.

But well, today was a day for exceptions.

"Miss Brown, Headmistress Miller has arranged a crash staff meeting at 10 am sharp. She has asked me to kindly request you to grace us with your presence there."  

Looks like I was the exception. Great. Now even Cyrus Rose has transformed to Severus Snape.

I just lowered my gaze to my interknit hands and gasped at how white my knuckles were. Looking at random things and gasping felt just so amusing right now. Mr. Gilbert began ranting something I couldn't really comprehend –– my mind denied paying attention today. I don't think anyone else was paying attention either. I could feel their empty accusing stares burn my back. I could hear them whisper crap about me, and there was nothing really I felt like doing about it. So I droned them all out, and drifted into the silence of a parallel universe, as Logan walked up to me, and stood there, grounded. His face was so much like an angel's, his smile so serene. Even though he'd laughed me off, it felt nice to see that innocent boy, with that heartbreaking smile standing right in front of me. It felt vaguely relieving to have my body come crashing down on his knees. It felt good to have the pain flood back again.

I might've sat there for hours with him, talking to him about how it hurt, asking him as to why'd he'd do what he did, weeping painstakingly –– but he just smiled. He never replied. In fact, all he ever did was smile. And I don't know why was I such a creep, but looking at his smile, somehow always made the pain numb.

"April! APRIL!" she hit my back to wake me up.

"What is your problem?" I groaned, yawning.

"Ugh, it's 9:53 am. You've got to be in the staff room by 10. Get up you lazy piss!" Bethany ordered.

Okay, did I just fall asleep? Like, asleep asleep? Wow.

Just then, Bethany hit the back of my head.

"Ugh, Bethany, get the fuck off. I'm going, I'm going!" I yelled at her.

"Quick, quick, quick!" were the last words she said before she walked out of the class.

I UGGGGHED and finally got out of the seat, and realized that the meeting was in just 3 minutes. So, I ripped off my heels, and broke into a run. Because really, who even cares?

Well, although I was clumsy and all, I was a pretty fast runner and made it to the staff room seconds before Bryce could.

Hah! I hurrahed in my head. 

But any sooner than Bryce and I could enter, there was a lot of discussion going on in the staff room. Bryce tried to apologize to me, but I wasn't going to talk to him. Well, he got me into this so he better get me out of it as well. After about fifteen minutes of deliberation, Bryce and I were allowed in.

"Mr. Campbell and Ms. Brown, I hope you're aware why you've dragged all the teaching staff here today, aren't you?" asked Headmistress Miller. Headmistress had the authoritative personality. She was fairly beautiful and exceedingly intelligent. She had a way of tackling students and her decisions had always benefited the school. Though strict, she was a total softy. Yes, I know you don't describe your principal that way.  All this clearly explained why the Board never let go of her.

"Yes," we both chirped in synchronization.

"Mr. Campbell, I believe you need no explanation about the role you play as head boy in the school. Your conduct has always been excellent until today, which has disheartened a lot of us in this room. If you have anything to say in your defense, now would be the time."

"I have nothing to defend, Headmistress," Bryce articulated confidently. 

How after all this crap did this boy still have the gall to be so blunt?

"You, Ms. Brown?"

"I...Nothing.... but sorry," I managed to reply. I was perspiring meticulously and my hands were trembling. 

 "So that would mean that you both are convicted guilty," announced Headmistress. "You have managed to bring disrespect to the school and have proved to be careless and ignorant towards its regulatory obligations. You being seniors have especially set a wrong example upon your juniors. And in light to all fairness, we cannot let you go without punishment."

 Shoot. 

 Was I going to be kicked out of Eppingswood?

 What was I going to tell mom?

 Kill me now, somebody. And do it fast.