14

______ backed away from the door, no longer wanting it to open, not wanting the person on the other side of it to come through. However, he didn't need to use the door to get in, the next second Maverick had apparated into the room. His face was scared, his dark hair brushed back and his eyes dark and sinister. He half-smiled, something that made ______'s blood run cold. "You're supposed to be dead," she told him. "You can't be here."

"Am I?" he asked her in a dark tone. "Never leave a beast to do something you really should do by yourself. I learned that lesson first hand when I trusted that pest to kill your boyfriend and you got in the way." He waved a hand dismissively, as if pushing the memory behind him and moving on. As if that night was just one failure, one small wave in an ocean.

As if it were really that easy to forget that night, but ______ still had the scar on her arm that would never let her forget. Never let her forget the night where she was hit with Unforgiveable Curse after Unforgiveable Curse, where she word "Muggle" was slowly etched into her arm. One letter, crucio, crucio, crucio. Another letter, crucio, crucio, crucio. Over and over again until he spelt out a word she'd never forget. Over here, they called then no-majs, but she would always be a Muggle. He tortured her, left her behind, put her under a potion that made her trick Newt, and almost killed her with a beast. That was a night she could never forget.

Maverick was the villain of every single one of her nightmares, and knowing he was back and that she was being kept here by him made her want to shrink into nothingness and disappear into a void.

"Why are you back?" she asked, her voice shaking. It was a mix of fear and anger that caused it to quiver. "Why are you keeping me here?"

Maverick just gave her a sick smile, one that was condescending and powerful. "Because I could, because it's fun, do I really need reasons like dead wives or demons to justify I can kill?"

His answer made ______'s heart sink. "You never had a wife, did you?" she asked. "Last time I saw you, you said you were doing it because they wrongfully imprisoned your wife. That wasn't true, was it?"

Maverick shook his head. "You felt like you deserved an answer, and you were about to die, so it didn't matter if what I said was a lie or not. Was it convincing? Did it make you feel better? Does it really matter if I have a reason or not?"

"You're crazy," ______ told him.

"That's uncreative, a really weak work for what I am. I've been called a great many things, but I do have a personal favorite: a sadistic, hedonistic nihilist. That does have a better ring, doesn't it? Not that it matters," he told her. "Point being: yes, yes I am. Any more questions?"

"Why do you need me?" she asked. "Why didn't you leave me to become apathetic like all those other victims?"

"Apathetic? Is that what they've been calling it?" Maverick asked. "Soulless, that's what they are. Not apathetic, but I can see where they're coming from."

"Just answer the question."

Maverick pulled out a wand and pointed it at her. "Silencio!" he said, and her voice went mute. "It's very rude to interrupt someone when they're talking. You want to know why? I'm going to need you, eventually. You can have so many uses... leverage, blackmail, general hostage. You'll find out your purpose all in due time."

______ stood up, walking towards him. If she couldn't use her words, she'd find some other way to get out of this situation. Before she even thought about what she would do, Maverick walked towards her and grabbed her hands with little effort, pinning them behind her back. "You should really be more careful," he told her. "A woman in your condition should watch what she does."

It was a normal threat, but the way Maverick said it put ______ off. It was as if he knew something she didn't, and she stopped moving involuntarily. Maverick pushed her towards the bed and pointed his wand at her, and her voice felt free again. "Why are you doing this?" she asked again.

"I already told you," he replied, annoyed.

"I mean this specifically. What do you have to gain out of attacking Muggles in New York? What's the point of all this?"

"Does there have to be one?" he rolled his eyes. "Like I'm going to tell you my plans. I'm not making that rookie move."

Maverick turned on his heels and began to walk out of the room, and a feeling swept over ______. She had no idea what to expect once he disappeared, she had no contact with the outside world. She was going to be left alone in this small room for who knows how long, and she wasn't prepared to do that.

"Let me out of here, Maverick!" she yelled at him, but he didn't even flinch, he didn't turn around. "Please let me go! I don't even know where we are, you could drop me off on a street corner and I'd have no idea where to tell them where to go! I'm not a threat, I'm no use to you, let me out!"

Maverick pulled his wand out and hesitated. "You're more useful than you know, ______." He muttered, and the next second, he was gone. ______ rolled into a ball on the bed, hugging her knees and closing her eyes, trying to ignore her situation.

Closing her eyes, she tried to imagine something to make her feel better. She imagined Newt's face, she pictured him so vividly she could count his freckles. She focused on simple, happy memories. Staying in with him on a cold winter night, walking around London and sight seeing when he had days off, taking turns cooking and always feeding his beasts after every meal, spending days sneaking around Hogsmeade while pretending to be a wizard, surprising Newt with simple Muggle things she bought him and him surprising her with al kinds of Muggle sweets and objects. It was almost as if he was there with her, sitting next to her, comforting her.

But he wasn't.

Please find me Newt, she thought. Please. I'm waiting for you.