I wouldn't have been able to memorize it anyway. There were 54 subterranean levels under the spotless exterior that clueless humans walked through. The corridors were a labyrinth and most doors required passcodes. Darien had kicked those down, but they had undoubtedly been replaced with something stronger by now.

Darien had me on his lap once more. He saw no reason that I should actually sit on the couch. In truth, I preferred it this way as well. The bond seemed to crave contact and it was a considerable distraction if we weren't touching. Darien had assured me that it was because the bond was new and it would settle down somewhat in a few days at most. I still had my doubts.

Darien picked up one of the sketches and paused with the paper in his hand as something occurred to him. "I meant to ask you earlier. How did you get that restraint off your leg?"

I was suddenly nervous. It was one thing for me to accept that he was different, but would he accept my odd ability? I had never told anyone else about it before, although I knew he would find out about it sooner or later. Besides, I trusted him. I was now doubly glad that Nick was not around.

Darien tilted his head as he noticed my nerves. I took a deep breath, "I have an odd... ability. I can make bizarre things happen if I sing. Remember how I hummed? I was actually using that music to pick the lock."

Darien blinked slowly as if uncertain he had heard me correctly. "You picked a lock by humming?"

I nodded, "Yes. I played around with the ability a few times. It doesn't matter if it is an electronic card lock, a door knob, or a deadbolt. Given enough time, my humming can unlock it. It can do some other small stuff, like help plants grow, purify water for drinking, and some other odds and ends, but it is fairly limited."

I fiddled nervously with the hem of my shirt as I watched him think. He eventually nodded, "That is a handy trick. It might be best to not mention it around the others though."

"I agree. That was why I didn't mention it when Nick was around. I am not entirely sure how good his hearing is, I just know it is much better than mine."

I drank the last of my water and got up to refill the water bottle. Darien glanced towards the door, "They just pulled up."

He got up from his seat and came over to lean on the counter beside me, as if he had to be closer to me when these two arrived. I had a feeling that the bond was hitting him harder than it was hitting me. I was only human after all. I just hoped that fact was not as noticeable to our new guests.

The door opened and Nick entered first. He ignored us in favor of going to sit on his favorite sofa cushion. A man and woman entered the open door. This must be Tristan and Clair. Their eyes were faintly glowing, so it must be something all Tarulk had in common. Although, I was apparently the only one who could see the glow...

Tristan spotted me instantly, "You brought a human here?!" He was not impressed. Clair scowled as she glanced at me. Had I really been that obvious? I was just standing by the fridge with a water bottle in my hand.

Darien growled deeply as his muscles tensed. The two narrowed their eyes at his reaction, not pleased with how Darien was protecting me. Clair snorted lightly, "You know the situation we need to discuss, but we are not going to discuss it around your prisoner."

So much for blending in for a bit. I really didn't feel welcome around this bunch, well, except for Darien. They must have a real grudge against humans. Darien likely had more reason to hate humans than anyone else here, yet I knew he cared for me, a human he had barely met. Although that was probably only due to the intervening soulbond messing with his head and heart.

I recalled the large garden I had seen in the backyard earlier. I stepped sideways, uneasy under the gaze of the two semi-hostile Tarulk, "No problem, I will just go out into the garden out back while you talk."

Darien's hands clenched into fists as he fought with his temper. Tristan narrowed his eyes and growled at me, "Get out and don't come back. Humans do nothing but destroy the planet. All of you humans should be wiped out."

Darien roared as he advanced on Tristan in a fighting crouch. His muscles trembled in rage as I felt a sudden tug and twist in the pull that belonged to the mate bond. Tristan and Clair took a few steps back with wide eyes.

Nick was instantly on his feet and took in the scene with a glance, "Oh shit! Serena! Quick, calm him down before he loses all control."

Darien had only taken a few steps so far and I went after him. I grabbed his one arm, although I knew it was like a chihuahua grabbing onto a husky's leash. There was zero chance of stopping him if he didn't want to listen. "Darien, please stop. Don't hurt them."

Miracle of miracles, he stopped advancing, although his chest still shook with his growls. Surely Tristan's words hadn't affected him this much. I had received worse insults from a couple of snobby serving women at the café who thought they were above anyone else. Nick slowly entered the kitchen with caution, "Keep talking to him. He is on the verge of losing control."

I put my other hand on his back and felt the tense muscles relax under my touch. Now I realized the power that the soulbond had handed me. Instead of just holding his arm, I started rubbing it, "Calm down Darien, they are your own people. Not the scientists in the lab."

The growls in his chest slowly subsided. He suddenly turned around and picked me up before heading to the living room. He sat down in the overstuffed chair in the far corner with me on his lap. Both arms restrained me from making any attempt to leave. The two newcomers were watching in shock and confusion. I was also confused as to what had just happened and slightly embarrassed at having them gawk at us.

Nick sighed and ran a hand through his hair before explaining to them, "New soulmate bond and, apparently, it still has not settled. I advise you to avoid any comment about separating those two or harming her unless you want a repeat of that scene."

Now I understood, as far as Darien was concerned, Tristan's demand for me to leave was an attempt to try to separate us and the bond made him overreact because it hadn't settled yet. To top it off, Tristan's declaration that all humans should be killed would include me – and that had apparently been the last straw for Darien.

If Darien was threatening friends, then I hoped the bond would settle down soon. Preferably, before someone got hurt. Clair looked stunned, "Soulmates? She is human, how is that possible?"

Darien's growl cut across the space between the two rooms, and I rubbed my hands along his arms as I leaned my back against his chest. I could actually feel his muscles relaxing with the contact, although his chest muscles weren't that soft even as they relaxed.

I looked back at the two newcomers and realized that all four Tarulk had bodies that looked fairly muscled. Not crazy bodybuilder style, but they were muscled enough to be noticeable.

There were other similarities as well. They had no pimples and I didn't see any scars at all. Their skin was perfect and their eyes all seemed to be a lighter color. Tristan had light grey eyes and Clair sported a pale blue that was a different shade than Darien's light blue eyes. I could see other things as I watched them. No wonder I had stood out.

Nick shrugged, "Not sure, but they are and now we have to deal with it."

Darien tensed again, and I craned my head up as I looked up at him in worry. I blinked as I realized that his eyes were a much darker shade of blue than normal, although they still had a strong glow. His eyes were cold and hard as he watched the three slowly approaching the living room.

Nick took his seat on the sofa and gestured to the papers, "Here are the blueprints and the best ways to get out. The human was here when we made them, so it isn't anything new to her."

Tristan and Clair cautiously took a seat on the far side of the coffee table as they started shuffling through the drawings.