18

I don't remember much of what just happened.

The man with the glasses came in, I tried to get up to attack him, and then everything went black.

I have something gritty in my teeth. Feels like my teeth have gone powdery and my tongue has been liquefied. Something is pulsing in my right arm, but I'm not sure what it is. My heart is racing to the same throb in my arm, a quick pa-pa-pump pa-pa-pump.

My eyes are glued shut and my ears are ringing. My fingertips and toes are tingling.

I feel a light flash over my closed eyes and I wince slightly.

"He's awake." The voice was muffled behind the ringing in my ears.

"Good, make him open his eyes, I want him to see what I've done." I feel a sharp stab in my leg and I scream and my eyes shoot open. What is this? I've never felt anything like that before, I've never felt anything. "Good morning, sunshine." Voice still muffled a bit, the man with the glasses stands before me.

"Go to hell." I hiss.

"Boy, this is hell." He grabs my face and pulls me to him harshly. I wince again. "I have performed a bit of an experiment on you while you were comatose." He says.

"An e-experiment?" I glare at him. "Wh-what for?"

"Well, you saw before, didn't you?" I furrow my eyebrows and my neck twitches slightly.

"L-Lyra?" I mumble.

"No, you nimbaskull, the pain!" He grabs my foot and twists it harshly, pain shooting up my leg. I gasp and scream slightly.

"Wh-what the h-hell?!" I wrench my foot away from him and bring my knees to my chest. "What was that?!"

"Pain, Toby. I performed a little experiment to see if I could make you feel pain. And it worked." He jabs his fingers into the wound on my leg from earlier and I scream in pain. Red and black spot my eyes and I feel tears well up in them. The man looks satisfied. "Perfect." He hisses.

Reeling from that horrible pain, my tears escape my eyes and my body starts to shake.

"You've got a handy little friend, don't you? Oh, my little spy." He drawls.

"Wh-what?" I ask.

"Miss little Clocky." The man smirks. "Helped me with my little experiment by applying some of the gel to your wounds as though healing it, when really I needed it in your system." He twirls a knife on a table and I feel my chest sink.

"Sh-she wh-what?"

"She's a traitor, Toby. She was never your little girlfriend, or your friend, she was never trying to help, in fact, I wouldn't be surprised if your friend Masky drops dead any second. She didn't try to fix his wound. She made it worse."

"BULLSHIT!" I yell as I attempt to get off the surface I'm on. "She would NEVER do that to us!"

"Clearly you don't know your little girlfriend." He snickers. "Oh, Clocky!" He sings. I see a flash of something in the corner where the light hits. She appears, her green eye shining with hatred and her clock a bit shattered.

I can't believe my eyes. This can't be happening. Clockwork wouldn't do this!

"C-Clockwork-?"

"Shut up." She snaps. "I'm so tired of hearing your stupid stutter." My heart shatters and tears form in my eyes again.

"See, Toby? She never loved you." The man says as he hands Clockwork the knife. She comes up to me and presses the knife to my cheek.

"This will only hurt a lot, I promise." She says with a sick grin. She slashes the knife across my cheek and I scream in pain.

~

What feels like slow hours pass, my body is covered in bloodied wounds from different weapons that Clockwork used. My eyes are like faucets and my mouth fills with blood here and there from the huge cut on my lip.

Clockwork positions the knife over my throat and presses down on it, drawing a bit of blood.

"I'm going to enjoy killing you." She whispers. As she traces where she's going to cut on my throat lightly with the knife, I see a very thin gold string fall on her shoulder. I look up and see a familiar face in the vent put a finger to his mouth to shush me. I swallow the blood.

The string slithers it's way into Clockwork's ear and suddenly her eyes widen. Her head is turned violently to the side and her neck cracks. She falls to the floor and the man with the glasses bolts upright.

"Clockwork?!" The man rushes over and growls. He takes the knife and the door to the room busts open and he stabs the knife deep into my torso. I scream and black and red spot my eyes again, blinding me. The man yells "COME AND GET ME!" Before I hear another sickening crack and his body drop to the floor.

Everything goes black.

A/N:

I'm sooooo sorry for how late this is!!!! I promise I will upload the last chapter, the epilogue, today soon after this one is uploaded!!!!

Thank you so much for sticking with me and my shitty late uploads! I appreciate all of your support and you guys motivate me to write this book!!!

I love you all ❤