It only gets stranger

Will's POV

I opened my eyes with a start, staring Mike in the face as he asked me if I was ok. I didn't even know how to answer him, I wasn't physically hurt, I didn't think... but I felt wounded. 

Two wasn't here, and I knew she was sick but I just... needed her. 

I told Mike I was fine... but I wasn't. 

Nothing made sense anymore. 

I had heard Two's voice, but it was so faint, carried by the wind and black smoke that seemed to follow the Demagorgon. 

And it was hard to remember, each time I saw the Upside Down and came back, it seemed a foggy dream. 

Mike and I had gone back to his house, he wasn't having a good time anyway. Not since Max had joined us. I mean, it may be because I like liked Two, but watching Dustin and Lucas practically drool over Max had only been amusing at first, but then they'd been downright annoying!

I just wish I could have one night, one night without an incident. The best night of the year had to be ruined by that thing. I wished for the upteenth time that night, that Two had come with us. I knew if she was with me, I would've been less... frozen. 

I was now sitting with Mike on his couch, countless candy wrappers were strewn across the floor and on the table around us. We'd mostly been eating in silence after Mike made sure I was ok. 

I had tried to contact my home, but no one was answering the phone. Deep down I knew Two was alright, but I just couldn't shake the feeling. Anyway, my home was pretty far and it was dark, so I was going to have to wait for Jonathon to pick me up, or I could just sleep over at Mike's house. 

Third Person POV

"So... do you want to talk to me... about what you saw?"

"Mike... I don't think"

"It could make you feel better. I mean..." The freckled boy thought for a moment. 

"I guess, it could lift the weight of your shoulders, if you told someone."

"I want to Mike... but, you wouldn't understand"

The shorter boy replied in a way that wasn't dismissive, but quite reserved. 

"Eleven and Two would" Mike sighed, turning towards one of his best friends. 

"You know you can trust me right?"

"Right" Will gave a half-smile at Mike. 

Will gave a recount of what he experienced, his fears for both himself and Two. 

He thought to himself, what else could he do?

"Well, I guess if you're going crazy, we can go crazy together" Both boys chuckled, and Will remembered why he considered Mike his best friend. Well, besides Two. Two was different, Will thought. 

The next morning Will returned home into the worried arms of Joyce Byers. 

After reassuring his mum that he was indeed fine, and that all he needed was a little rest, she nodded and promptly left for work. Will sighed, it was just another day where his mum was working her butt off, even harder than before to pay for his doctor treatments.

He didn't even know what the treatments amounted to. In his mind, Mike, Two, Eleven , Jonathon and his mum were the only ones that had truly helped him, if not make things easier for him. He hated being poked and prodded like an experiment. Like an anomaly. 

His mind drifted to how Two may have been treated in the Michigan lab. She hadn't given all the details of her life before coming to Hawkins, though Will suspected it would be similar to Eleven's experience. He shuddered at the thought, and decided to talk to Two or Eleven. 

His walking pace quickly changed to a half-sprint, as he grew worried about what happened to Two last night. 

Your POV

I woke up in the late morning light, exhausted. Last night I had strained myself, I had tried to stop the monster from getting ahold of Will. He looked so scared, I felt utterly gutted that I couldn't do a single thing. The monster still wanted Will, and I had no idea how to stop it. 

After my fit last night, Eleven had taken care of me throughout my slipping in and out of consciousness. Int he very early morning she had gone to sleep after I seemed to be in a deep sleep, so she was still sleeping in her room as I passed it. 

I sat down at the breakfast table with my head in my hands, slightly trembling. Will came home and ran to me, asking me if I was ok. 

"Two, I saw you, last night"

"Yes"

"Are you ok?"

I looked at him and slowly shook my head. Might as well tell him the truth. It didn't change the fact that I couldn't stop the shadow monster that I had created. 

"Hey... It's alright. We'll get through this. I know how you feel." He sat next to me, rubbing his hand up and down my back. I hadn't realised that I had started sobbing. 

"I just want this to end Will!"

"I know, I know. All I want is for all this to be over..." We sat in silence, hugging each other. 

After a while, I broke the silence. "Will, I was thinking. I might take some time to train my powers. You know... in case it comes back again" I tried to put on a brave face, for Will. 

"Maybe I could train with Eleven? I know we don't have the same abilities, but well... she's faced the bad men before, and she's faced the demagorgon. She only killed one of its soldiers, but at least..." 

"That sounds good Two. It'll give you something to do" He smiled, and took me towards the living room.

"But for now, I think we both need to do something fun!" I laughed at his goofy face. He, who had looked so scared and lost only hours before, could brighten my thoughts in an instant. 

We ended up watching a comedy together on the worn sofa and tried to forget the bad men and the darkness. 

I went to sleep that night, not peacefully but not in a deep fear as I did most nights. It almost felt good, until I woke up to find myself, standing over the decomposing corpse of a young girl.