Chapter Twenty-Two

Comincia dall'inizio

I wasn't liking this at all.

Just as I looked at Patti, her eyes shot wide open. We both just stared at her and didn't ask any questions; we just assumed she would eventually say what she saw.

"It really likes you Charlie" she said. I just looked at Zak with wide eyes.

"What do you mean?" I asked. This is getting too scary.

"When you met it, it saw a connection with you. You must have woken up some part of it"

When she saw my confusion she tried explaining it a little more.

"You woke up the part of it that was human, and for that it stuck with you. Have you been having nightmares? Like extremely life-like nightmares?"

I nodded.

"Those aren't just some regular nightmares; those nightmares are memories from how it died"

I was shocked. "But Rosemary died from jumping off the roof of the asylum. She wasn't torn apart like my nightmares"

She shook her head at my comment. "That's because it's not Rosemary Charlie, its portraying itself as Rosemary because it saw that you were comfortable with it. You left Rosemary behind at the Asylum when you went for Zak instead of taking your life with her"

I shockingly looked at Patti, wondering how in hell she knew about what happened in Pennsylvania. Then she answered my question as if she knew exactly what I was thinking.

"It told me. It told me everything" she smirked a little. Well now I know she's the real deal.

"Then how did it connect with me?" the only spirit I interacted with was Rosemary.

Patti closed her eyes and started to hum again. Shortly after she opened her eyes again and told me all the details.

"It said something about... scratches. Facial scratches. Also, it's giving me a name" She kept whispering to herself and counting her fingers; still holding the Rosary in her right hand.

"I'm getting an H. It's definitely a woman, I know that. She's very angry, yes. I can't figure out how she died, all I can feel is pain around my heart and my-"

"Torso" I cut her off. She stopped and looked at me. "You feel like someone is ripping your guts out and ripping your heart out right?"

Zak looked at me with fright. "That's what you were having a nightmare of when I woke you up? Your guts being ripped out?" I nodded. He let out a deep breath and sank into his chair.

When I looked back at Patti, her eyes were closed again and she was still mumbling. Then I looked at Zak, who was looking down and avoiding eye contact.

"Helen!" Patti yelled. She stood straight up after she screamed the familiar name.

I looked away in thought, trying to remember why I recognized that name. Then it hit me.

Helen was the known bad spirit at the Levik Asylum! She must've been the one who scratched my face before I found Rosemary. I remembered a woman who Zak interviewed the day before we went into the Asylum, he said a few of the patients were studied and were cut open for experiments. Helen must have been one of them.

Zak must've recognized the name at the same time I did, because we both looked up at each other and whispered the name simultaneously.

"How do we get rid of her? I want her gone" Zak asked Patti.

Patti quickly reached down into her bag and grabbed one giant silver bowl and three leather pouches full of salt, rocks, and lavender flowers. She also grabbed a bottle of water.

She laid the contents out and poured all four in the bowl. Then she dropped her Rosary in the center.

"Put your hand on this and repeat my words" she instructed. I nodded and put my hand on the bowl, covering my hand in lavender petals, rocks, salt, and water.

"Helen, this place is no longer for you; this is not your home. You are no longer welcome here, leave this place at once!" I repeated her words.

A few seconds later, a woman's screams came from somewhere in the house, we all just looked at each other.

Once I finished talking, the candle in the center of the table went out. The house was pure silent; the only thing you could hear was all of us breathing.

I was the one to break the silence. "That's it? That's all we had to say?"

I looked over at Patti who was smiling. "That's it" she nodded. "Now that that's over, all we have to do is burn some sage and cleanse the rest of the house. Just to make sure that whatever presences that were hear are gone"

I just put my elbows on the table, put my hands in my face and moaned. "I never want to do anything like that ever again"

Zak reached across the table and grabbed my arm. "Me fucking neither"