Aqualad x Reader: Keep Us Apart

Start from the beginning

Wrinkling your nose in disgust, you grit your teeth as you wrote back, your fingers pounding furiously against the keyboard, "I'm not a kid anymore Dad."

Send. Now, mute.

You growled as you angrily shoved the device back into your coat, earning a slightly-alarmed look from the place's sole resident, its owner. Recognizing that you had to calm down if you didn't want to scare this poor person, you gave him an apologetic smile before going to sit at one of the cute, round tables that spotted the area.

By the time the warm-hearted baker came to ask if you wanted something, your trembling had ceased. Feeling at ease with this kind man, you were able to sweetly ask for a baguette to start your day, and smiled and thanked him when he promised he'd be back within a moment.

Afterwards, finding your phone again, you made sure not to check on your father's messages and instead went directly to Kaldur's. Thirty minutes ago, he had asked you where you were. He was always so considerate... Unable to keep yourself from grinning from ear to ear, "I'm at the bakery. Come get me when you're ready."

     A mere ten minutes later, the bell at the small place's entrance jingled, signalling that someone had arrived. Without even looking, you abruptly got to your feet, stranding your breakfast and turning, heart beating fast and hard in your chest.

Yes. It was him. It was finally him.

Recognizing you within a heartbeat, he gave you that handsome, soft smile of his, and gently called out, "Hello, (Y/N)."

Tears of happiness prickled at your eyes, and you stared a little longer before a stutter of his name fled from your quivering lips. Without a second thought, you launched yourself at him, your arms coming to latch around his tall form and clinging on to him for dear life. He hugged you back with just as much strength, burying his face into your hair as you hid yours against his chest, spasms starting to ripple across your body and making you shiver and shake against him.

"I-I missed you Kaldur," you weakly sobbed out, shaking your head regretfully against him. "I m-missed you so much..."

"So have I," gently murmured the dark-skinned male, reaching up to stroke your hair comfortingly like he always had. "However, we no longer have to be separated like this. You may stay with me, can you not?"

The hope and love in his words only saddened you further, somehow. You knew your wishes to be together couldn't be fulfilled. Certainly not today, anyway. "N-No Kaldur, I can't. My father... H-He'll hunt me down if I don't go back home. And he'll h-hurt you."

A soft sigh from your boyfriend. "Yes, I understand. ...What did he say this time?"

You hesitates, unwilling to recall your parent's insults from yesterday, to reopen the gaping wound that you had just stitched together. However, Kaldur wanted to know, and he had every right to. Pulling back only slightly to look up at you, you quietly admitted, "H-He said you were freaky and... Different. That something was off about you. A-And he's absolutely wrong, you're completely--"

He brought a finger to your lips, shushing you, which definitely caught you off-guard. Kaldur barely, if ever, cut you off. However, considering the serious look on his face and the gentleness of his movement, he wasn't doing so to be a jerk and... You had a feeling this meant he had something important to say.

You blinked up at him, remaining quiet, as your way to tell him that he had all of your attention.

Kaldur, who was usually so calm and collected, seemed to get a little nervous all of a sudden, reaching up to scratch the back of his neck as he averted his gaze. "(Y/N), there is something I must tell you. I should have told you a long time ago but I was afraid that you would become afraid of me..." He forced himself to look back at you, his clear blue eyes meeting yours as he slowly revealed, "I am not from the surface world (Y/N). I indeed have a house here like I have told you, but this is not where I have grown up." Releasing you, he turned toward the window and gestured to the ocean. "There is a city in the ocean named Atlantis. That is where I truly am from."

"Y-You mean..." You couldn't keep yourself from staring up at him with wide, puzzled eyes, struggling to understand his words. "You're from... The ocean? Like, in  the ocean?"

He somberly nodded before looking away shamefully, his gaze lowering to the ground. You were quick to understand that he had taken your shocked reaction as rejection.

His eyes flew back up to you as you suddenly took both of his hands in yours. His expression was a rare one of surprise as he stared down at you, finding the flame of determination that danced in your gaze.

"No, Kaldur. I'm not afraid. I won't let this separate us, just like we did with distance. Distance didn't keep us apart, why should this do so?"

...A slow, happy smile, slowly making its way to the Atlantean's lips. The smile that always came back in your dreams, that had lingered at the back of your mind all this time. The smile that gave you life.

He gently pulled you back into his arms, simply enjoying your warmth that he knew wasn't about to leave just yet now that you had promised you'd stay. After a peaceful moment, his chest rumbling as he spoke, "(Y/N), will you accompany me on my journey back to my home?"

From your spot against his chest, you smiled, humming in approval before, "Yes, Kaldur. Of course. And... If you live at the bottom of the ocean... There's no way my father will find me, right?"

Your boyfriend's eyes widened as he came to understand the meaning behind your words, earning a quiet giggle from you. You turned so you were fully facing him, your eyes meeting lovingly and seeming to exchange a quiet sign. A moment later, without having even spoken, you both started leaning in at once, your faces edging closer and closer.

Just as your noses brushed, a low murmur; "Show me the way Kaldur."

And then, your lips, meeting in a sweet, promising first kiss.