I'm Like a Lawyer

Start from the beginning

As the boy read, Pete decided to ask questions.

"What's your name? I'm Pete, by the way."

"I know. I'm Patrick. This is really good. Do you sing? Are these song lyrics?"

"Uh, thanks. No.. I don't sing, but yeah.. they are lyrics. It's kind of my secret. No one knows. Well, you do, but ya know.."

"Okay well I have to go.." Patrick stood up and walked away, almost deer-like, and Pete just stared after him.

***

Pete sat on the curb and thought.

Pete isn't into boys. He had a girlfriend. He dumped her though. She was an attention whore. She thought she was too good for anyone, and Pete proved her wrong. She lives in a box now. And Pete doesn't care.

Is there any way Pete could like Patrick? No. No way. He doesn't even know the kids last name. And he realized that as he wrote "Patrick" over and over in his notebook.

"It's Stump. Like the tree."

Pete practically jumped up. He stood and stared at Patrick, eyes wide and nearly shaking.

And all Patrick could do was laugh. Why did that make Pete so angry? Why was Patrick laughing? Before Pete realized what was happening, he was using his cigarette lighter and setting the notebook on fire. He dropped it on the ground and left.

Patrick tried not to cry. He tried really hard. But eventually the tears came, and they wouldn't stop. He had to sit down, because his tiny figure was shaking with each new sob. He liked Pete. He's liked him for a while now. And Pete noticed him. And everything was gone. And it was Patrick's fault.

An hour passed and Patrick was still sitting on the curb. He knew he had to get home.

***

Weeks pass, and Patrick doesn't talk to Pete again. Pete ignores him completely. All Patrick wants to do is say "Hi". Just one more time.

But finally, Pete says something.

"Hey."

Patrick looked up and saw an almost sympathetic face, looking down on him.

"Hey," Patrick said, acting nonchalant. Like his feelings weren't hurt. Like his heart wasn't shattered.

"Look, I'm sorry. Okay? Is that what you want to hear? But you aren't the only one upset. I'm crushing on a guy, when, for 17 years, I assumed I was straight. I've never even thought about dating a guy. But I have. I am. And I don't know what to do. So stop acting like your feelings are hurt."

Patrick didn't know what to say. He just kind of stood there, looking at Pete. But that was uncomfortable. So he decided to look down, at his shoes.

When Patrick looked up, he saw Pete holding some papers. Pete shoved the papers at Patrick. Once Patrick grabbed them, Pete stalked off.

The bell rang before Patrick could read them, so he shoved them in his locker. And there they stayed.

Eventually, Pete's anger wore off. He realized he didn't hate Patrick. He actually wanted to be friends with the nerd. Or.. maybe more? No. Not more. Friends. For now.

***
It's been exactly 16 days since Pete said he liked Patrick. 16 days since Pete last made eye contact with Patrick. 16 days since Pete gave him those papers. Those papers.. Patrick never even read them. He rushed to his locker and grabbed them.

Patrick recognized the words immediately. They were the same ones from the two weeks before, when he asked to read them.

Last year's wishes are this year's apologies
Every last time I come home
I take my last chance
To burn a bridge or two
I only keep myself this sick in the head
'Cause I know how the words get you
We're the new face of failure
Prettier and younger, but not any better off
Bullet proof loneliness at best, at best
Me and you setting in a honeymoon
If I woke up next to you
If I woke up next to you, me and you
Setting in a honeymoon
If I woke up next to you
Collect the bad habits that you couldn't bear to keep
Out of the woods, but I love
A tree I used to lay beneath
Kid's teeth stained red
From a sour bottle, baby girl
With eyes the size of baby worlds
We're the new face of failure
Prettier and younger, but not any better off
Bullet proof loneliness at best, at best
Me and you setting in a honeymoon
If I woke up next to you
If I woke up next to you, me and you
Setting in a honeymoon
If I woke up next to you
Me and you setting in a honeymoon
If I woke up next to you
If I woke up next to you, me and you
Setting in a honeymoon
If I woke up next to you
The best way to make it through
With hearts and wrists in tact
Is to realize two out of three ain't bad, ain't bad
Me and you setting in a honeymoon
If I woke up next to you, if I woke up next to you
Me and you, setting in a honeymoon
If I woke up next to you, if I woke up next to you
Me and you, setting in a honeymoon
If I woke up next to you honeymoon