Truths, comitments and horses

Começar do início

I buckled up as Luca rounded the car to the driversside and wondered if maybe I should get my confession out of the way before we started driving, that way if he got really angry, at least he wouldn't be driving in traffic. Still, maybe he'd be more inclined to keep his temper in check if there was a chance of innocent bystanders getting hurt because he drove angry, either way I had no way of knowing just how he might react. 

"I'll be taking care of some business with Dmitri while you spend the day with Elena, but I want to take you to dinner tonight, talk about some things." I liked that he was giving me the privacy to spend the day just us girls, and that he was forthcoming enough to suggest we talk over dinner, and I really wanted to wait until dinner to tell him my confession, but seeing as Elena might have told Dmitri, I didn't want Luca to show up there and be blindsided by it. 

"Okay, dinner sounds nice, but before we go," I said, took in a deep breath and turned to face him, "there is something I have to tell you." His hands were on the wheel, but the rest of his body was angled to face me, and his eyes were sharp and assessing when they met mine. 

"What?" I really didn't want to tell him, but I had to, and all I could do was hope for the best. 

"At the funeral the other day, when I was talking to Elena, I might have..." Oh boy, this was a lot harder than I'd thought it would be, and every time I opened my mouth I felt like I was going to be sick. 

"You might have what?" He prompted, and I blew out a breath before I went on. 

"Well, I mean, she was really upset about the fact she had no idea who had killed her parents, and I know it was stupid, Luca, believe me, I know, but... Well, a few weeks ago I overheard a phoneconversation where you were talking about the Villanuevas possibly being involved in the murders and I... Well, I told her. I also told her it might not mean anything, but you should know in case she told Dmitri about it, and I'm just really sorry. I know it wasn't my place, but if I was Elena and someone was sitting on information that might help make things a little clearer, I would want to know." 

The air in the car had turned abrasive by the time I was done talking, Luca said not a single word as he turned his face to the front and I watched his jaw flex and his hands tighten on the wheel. 

"That was a very stupid thing to do Ariana," I dropped my head and closed my eyes, feeling even worse for having it confirmed what I already knew. At the time, it had seemed like a good idea, but I figured there was a reason why the saying went "hindsight is always a bitch". 

"I know," I whispered, feeling for an instance, completely deflated. I opened my eyes as the engine revved, saw we were pulling away from the curb and heading into traffic and I hoped that what I'd done wouldn't lead to too much trouble for any of the parties involved. 

***

"Ari, you're here!" I'd just gotten out of the car after a long and tense ride with a brooding Luca, and Elena's happy voice calling out to me was exactly what I needed. I turned to see her coming down the stairs of the massive mansion that was apparently Dmitri's home, and saw a small gorgeus little girl skipping down the steps by her side, holding her hand. 

"I'm so glad you could make it," Elena exclaimed as she and the little girl stopped in front of me, and I leaned in to give her a hug before I looked down at the girl peeking up at me through her long delicate lashes. 

"I wouldn't have missed it," I told Elena, then I crouched down in front of the girl and held out my hand to her. 

"And who is this little princess? My name is Ariana," The girl looked a little unsure, but then she accepted my hand, shook it lightly and said "My name is Katya."