Prologue

The sky was dark as pitch and spattered with twinkling stars.

A light breeze whistled through the long, yellowed grass of an open field.

Only the rustling of leaves could be heard.

All was peaceful.

Unfortunately for Grethilda Granfeld, peace was all but non-existent.

She threw a dark cloth over the seeing-glass with trembling hands and furrowed brows. 'Best to not ponder', she thought, turning slowly on her heel and hobbling toward a tall, rickety bookshelf standing in the corner of her one-room shack.

The shelves were laced with spider webs and inch-thick dust that clung to the linen binds like sap.

With one hand lifting her floor-length robe a scary few centimetres above her ankle and the other reaching far above her head, she half-clambered up the case in an attempt to reach a particularly heavy encyclopaedia on the top shelf.

Not for the first time, she cursed her small stature with vocabulary colourful enough to make a sailor blush. with a deep groan, she pried the heavy tome off of its perch, cackling when it hit the uneven floor with a THUD.

With some careful manoeuvring, she eventually, made it to her desk, wheezing heavily and running pale, bony fingers over the rough leather cover. The title was gold emboss.

"The Art of Divination | Volume 2 : Symbolism"

"What does the hare foreshadow...?" She rasped, flipping through the yellowed pages, careful not to tear the fragile parchment. "It's been so long..."

Her glassy, blue eyes trailed down the page, mouth moving in silent whispers when her finger froze over a small uniform paragraph.

There it was. Inked in with blank pen and a scrawling hand.

"Oh..." She gasped, jerking her hand away as though burned. "Oh, dear."

She stumbled away from the table with surprising speed, knocking her chair back in her haste.

"Gwen! Oh, Gwen would know what to do!"

She scrambled around for some scroll parchment, pen and ink, then set about scribbling an urgent notice to her dearest friend, and ex-apprentice, Gwendolyn Norwood, the words emblazoned in her mind.

"Hare on the moon ~

Darkness is coming."

"Oh, Gwen." Grethilda thought. "We'll be needing the girl now."