Chapter Seven: Home

"It's you," Gideon says, glaring at Dan Flint.

JJ and Gideon had done another batch of interviews and was now investigating the man who runs the hospital. "What? What would I have to gain from kidnapping Diana?"

"Everything," Gideon replies. "With Diana gone, you'd get plenty of news coverage for your hospital here. You seem like a man who needs attention desperately, but receives none. Now, if that's no attention from your buddies or from a wife who no longer loves you, that's beside the point."

"You leave Tracy out of this!" Flint shouts suddenly.

"I think you've hit a nerve there, Gideon," JJ says smugly, trying to get a rise out of Flint. "I wouldn't blame her, though, who would want a husband as bland and boring as Flint?"

"I'm not boring!" Flint exclaims, but the profilers continue in their own conversation.

"I mean, he's so normal and un-spontaneous," Gideon replies, "who'd want him?"

"Shut up!"

"I for one wouldn't," JJ nods in agreement. "I can't even IMAGINE the last time he did anything remotely crazy."

"I kidnapped Diana!" He yells. "Would you consider THAT crazy?"

"Thank-you, Sir," Gideon says, rising from the other side of Flint in the interrogation room.

"What?" Flint asks, not realizing what he'd said. Then, it hits him. "Oh, shit."

"So, is Alex Kennedy your partner?" JJ asks. "You should just help us; you're already screwed."

Flint sighs. "Yes. I unlocked Diana's room after this kid came to me saying he had a score to settle with the woman's son. I did as he said because, well, when was the last time I did something insane?"

"Thank-you," JJ says and turns to Gideon. "Prentiss called and said that after we finish up here, we should head to Kennedy's house; that's where Diana is."

"Let's go."

***********************************************************************************************************************

The ride to Kennedy's house seems to take an eterntiy. Reid fidgets and bites his nails. Hotch looks over (very briefly; he is driving!) and says, "Reid, your mom's going to be fine."

"How do you know that?" Reid asks. "What if she had an episode and then, then, she freaked and it permanetly damaged her or something?"

"There probably wasn't anything that would have triggered one," Hotch replies.

"How do you know?"

"I don't," Hotch admits. "I was just trying to comfort you."

"Well, admitting that wasn't very comforting," Reid gives Hotch a small smile.

"Ah," Hotch does something he rarely ever does; smiles back. "That's why they call you the smart one."

************************************************************************************************************************

"When I get my hands on that son of a bitch, I swear I'm gonna' shove my foot right up his-"

"Morgan!" Prentiss exclaims. "Okay, sorry, but you've gotta' cool it, okay? I can't have you going in there and saying you're going to shove your foot up... not nice places."

"Well, can ya' blame me?" Morgan replies. "After what he did to Diana? What he did to REID? God, this guy is gonna' get it."

"And by IT you mean a trial and sentencing, correct?" Prentiss asks. "Think about it, if you kill this guy when you see him, he won't be able to suffer. He paid someone else to kidnap a defenseless older woman. People will TORTURE him in prison."

Morgan ponders this for a moment. "I like the way you think, Prentiss."

*************************************

Incidentally, the team all arrive at Kennedy's house at the same time. Reid doesn't even wait for Hotch to park the van before he barrels out of it. ("God damn it, Reid!" says an annoyed Hotch.)

Reid cocks his gun and runs up the steps of the yellow Colonial home. He jiggles the door knob and despite knowing it being unlocked was not a great sign, he enters the house.

It's dark; not a single light is on in the whole house. Reid grabs the small flashlight he grabbed from his messenger bag on his way over here and scans the living room. He navigates his way through the kitchen and finds a door he believes is a door to the basement. He takes a deep breath, silently opens it, and descends the stairs.

What Reid sees before him makes him want to throw up. His mother sits strapped to a chair, beaten and bloody. There is a big gash on the side of her face and she looks to be unconscious.

Reid rushes over to her and frantically unties the ropes she's been tied with, tears in his eyes. "Mom, I'm here!" He whispers. "I'm here now. You're safe. I'm here to save you."

Reid hears a squeak on the stairs behind him and whirls around.

"But who's going to save you?"

Reid whirls around just in time to see the butt of a gun coming straight for him and then nothing.

*************************************

REVIEWS ARE APPRECIATED!