Chapter Four: Treats

"So all you know is that Diana Reid is missing?" Prentiss asks incredulously.

Brown nods slowly. "Well, we kinda' just got the tip that she's missing."

When Brown turns to answers Gideon's question, Prentiss rolls her eyes. WOW, THIS IS GONNA' BE GREAT FUN! she thinks. Prentiss can tell this guy is incompetent pand she has NO IDEA why this man is the police chief. Patience is not her strong suit and now she is having to use it; oh, goody. Then she remembers something crucial.

"Uh, guys?" she says and Hotch and Gideon turn towards her to listen. "Didn't the letter say only Reid and the team are supposed to work this case?"

"Well, we need to get as much help as we can," Gideon states matter-o'-factly.

"Yeah, but what if he finds out that we've asked for help and does something drastic?"

Hotch nods. "You're right. Damn. Alright, Brown. This is a touchy subject so try to interfere as little as possible."

"Why?"

"It's a long, messed-up story."

How true that statement is.

Just then, Prentiss' phone rings. "Oh, one sec. Hello? You found it? Okay, we'll be right over." Prentiss hangs up. "They found the place. Let's head out."

***************************************************

"Smitty's Bakery. This is it."

Reid, J.J., and Morgan stand in front of a small bakery with a blue and white awning.

"You sure?" Morgan asks Reid.

"Am I ever not?" Reid replies with a slight smile, trying to lighten the mood.

"Ah, shut up, Smart Ass," Morgan laughs and the trio head into the bakery.

The team is hit by an intense smell of cinnamon and they see the bakery is crammed with bustling people.

"Oi!" a chubby man from behind the counter calls out when sees Reid. "Is that you, Spencer?"

"Hey, Fredrick," Reid nods to the man. "How are you?"

"Not bad. Busy as usual," Fredrick says.

"That's because you're the best baker in Nevada," Reid smiles.

"Oh, are you trying to compliment your way into some free muffins?" Fredrick laughs.

"Could be," Reid replies. "But, I'm here with the BAU. My, uh, mom's been, um, abducted."

Fredrick's eyes widen. "Oh my! I'm so sorry, Spencer! What can I do?"

"Has anyone dropped off a letter or something like that recently? It's probably blue," Morgan tells the baker.

"In fact," Fredrick says, stroking his beard in deep thought, "yes, I did have a gentleman come in here and drop something off. I think it was an envelope. Let me get it. Lisa, man the counter," he tells a young girl standing behind the counter.

"We should call the rest of the team and get them down here," Morgan says and whips out his phone to do so.

"Whatever we find in the envelope, we have to keep calm, okay, guys?" J.J. says, trying to make it seem like she's talking to Morgan AND Reid when it's obvious she's only talking to the youngest BAU team member.

"What do you think we're going to find?" Reid asks, a terrible sense of fear washing over him.

Before J.J. can respond, Fredrick returns with the tell-tale blue envelope.