Chapter Nineteen: Remembering the Forgotten

Start from the beginning

"You both want the planet. You both have a genuine claim to it."

"Are you authorised to negotiate on behalf of humanity?"

He lifted his head in surprise.

"Me?" He asked. "No. But they are." He said gesturing behind him.

Nasreen and Emily stared at him wide eyed.

"What?"

Emily laughed nervously. "No, we're not."

"Course you are. Emily Pond and Nasreen Chaudhry, speaking for the planet? Humanity couldn't have better ambassadors. Come on, who has more fun than us?"

She bit her lip. "Is this what happens, in the future? The planet gets shared? Is that what we need to do?"

"Er, what are you talking about?"

The Doctor turned to Nasreen.

"Oh Nasreen, sorry." He said, not sorry at all. "Probably worth mentioning at this stage, Emily and I travel in time a bit."

"A bit?" Emily muttered.

Nasreen had barely blinked.

"Anything else?"

"There are fixed points through time where things must always stay the way they are." The Doctor explained. "This is not one of them. This is an opportunity. A temporal tipping point. Whatever happens today, will change future events, create its own timeline, its own reality. The future pivots around you, here, now. So do good, for humanity, and for Earth."

There was a pause of silence where both women took in their responsibility.

"Right. No pressure there, then." Emily said.

Nasreen however, shook her head. "We can't share the planet. Nobody on the surface is going to go for this idea. It is just too big a leap."

"Come on. Be extraordinary."

"Oh."

The Doctor clapped his hands once and addressed everyone. "Okay. Bringing things to order. The first meeting of representatives of the human race and Homo Reptilia is now in session." A childish grin took over his face. "Ha! Never said that before. That's fab. Carry on. Now, Mo. Let's go and get your son. Oh, you know, humans, and their predecessors shooting the breeze. Never thought I'd see it."

[Store room]

There were four travel discs lined up in a row.

Everyone stared at them dubiously.

"So we get on those." Mack asked. "And they take us down through the Earth?"

"Geothermal gravity bubbles, or something." Rory told him.

"They sent five. She was our only bargaining chip." Ambrose said.

Amy glared at her in barely contained anger.

"We have to hand her back."

They were about to step on the disc when Ambrose called out.

"Wait. Before we go down, there's something I've got to do. Dad? I need your help."

[Stasis pod]

Malohkeh led the Doctor and Mo to the stasis pods, not bothered by the awkward silence.

"Elliot. There you are."

Mo turned to the scientist. "If you've harmed him in any way."

"Of course not." Malohkeh assured. "I only store the young."