Yuri Plisetsky: Goodbye

Requested by: AngeliPatrishaThadan
Type of Oneshot: Angst
Oneshot Idea: Y/N is a gamer and their only friend is the renowned ice skater Yuri Plisetsky. Little to Yuri's knowledge, his friend is severely depressed and thinking about committing suicide.
Warning(s): Contains references to depression and suicidal thoughts.
Additional Info: Reader is gender neutral.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

-Y/N's POV-

"Y/N! Are you coming to watch me skate today?" I heard my only friend, Yuri Plisetsky, scream.

I shook my head, as I was too concentrated on my game to give a verbal answer. The final level was a difficult one to say the least.

"Alright. I'll see you after practice, okay?"

I nodded again, as I knew he could see me. Moments later, the door opened and shut, signaling that Yuri was gone. I sighed and flopped down in my chair when the screen read 'Game Over'.

"I don't understand why I even try anymore," I mumbled to myself. "I'm not even good at the thing I strive to put effort in. I'm useless."

Sighing heavily, I stood up and trudged to the kitchen to get something to eat even if I didn't feel hungry in the slightest, but something caught my eye. On the fridge was a yellow sticky note with a quickly scribbled note.

See you after practice Y/N!
-Yuri P.

My lips formed a weak smile, but it was soon replaced with a frown. As my best friend was becoming a successful ice skater, I was here alone being a lousy gamer.

"You truly have no reason to live do you Y/N?" I bitterly mocked myself, as I stared emotionless at the note. "Not even Yuri could give you a reason."

The familiar numbness of my self-abuse set in like any other day, and I smiled bitterly. I was right. I had no purpose on this Earth and it was about time I finally made it a better place. Carefully, I opened a drawer and pulled out the suicide note I had written months ago. I placed on the counter where Yuri could find it and walked to my bathroom.

Without hesitation, I opened up my medicine cabinet and pulled out the pills I had been hiding away for this very day. A note on the cap was scribbled in my handwriting.

For when you stop being a wuss and decide to end it all.

Carelessly, I tore off the note and tossed it in the bin. Finding a new sense of eagerness, I ran to my room and laid on my bed. The lid to the bottle opened with a pop, and I poured a handful of the pills into my palm.

"Three cheers to suicide, am I right?" I muttered to myself. "Well bottoms up."

In two big gulps, countless numbers of pills spilled down my throat and I laid back into my bed. My vision started fading and I smiled; I had finally done something right.

"Goodbye Yuri."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

-Yuri's POV-

Around three o'clock, I arrived at Y/N's house and unlocked the door with my spare set of keys. Strangely the house was quiet. No shrieks, banging, or screeches that I so often heard were present.

"Y/N?" I questioned the silence.

My voice echoed off the walls and I walked further in the house. No lights from their gaming room. No lights from the living room. Where was Y/N?

As I last the kitchen, a stray light caught my eye and I surveyed the kitchen for any trace of Y/N. My eye fell upon a note on the counter and I smiled, Y/N left me a note.

"They must have gone out then," I determined, as I made my way across the kitchen and the note.

I picked it up and read it quickly. As my eyes scanned over each and every word, my eyes widened and I started tearing up.

Dearest Yuri,

Let's get straight to the point, I have decided to end my life. I have determined that every day I breath, my oxygen is wasted. I am nothing in this world. I serve no purpose. I'm just a pathetic gamer with no friends or family. I'm sorry that you had to find out this way, but I've been suffering from depression and suicidal thoughts almost all of my life. Today I decided to end my misery. I hope you can get over my death quickly, but never forget that I love you.

Yours truly,
Y/N

My heart quivered in my chest and my limbs suddenly felt like lead. Panic rose in my chest and I started sprinting down the hallway to their room.

"Y/N! Y/N!" I screamed, tears blurring my vision.

My hand was shaking so much that I could barely grasp the handle, but when I finally managed to burst in I fell to my knees.

There laid Y/N, my closest and most treasured friend, in a state of eternal rest. Tears clouded my eyes and I grit my teeth, but I couldn't even make a sound. How could I have missed the signs? I hadn't I been able to stop this?

"Y/N," I sobbed. "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry."

Somehow I managed to bring myself to come closer to my friend. Their eyes were closed and they looked at peace, but I couldn't help but feel sick. I hadn't even told Y/N that I loved them today. Carefully, I tucked a stray strand of hair behind their ear and felt hot tears start to pour down my cheeks.

"I'm sorry I couldn't save you," I mumbled.

Finding the courage to stand up, I pressed a chaste kiss to their cold temple and wiped my tears away. I stood their for a moment, trying my hardest to believe this was all a dream, but I knew this was cruel reality. As I turned on my heel to leave, I managed to say the three words I had always wanted to say.

"I love you."