Chapter Twelve - Jocelyn's Revenge

[Add the book to your library to get a notification for when each NEW chapter is uploaded, and don't forget to vote!]

   There weren't many things that shocked Riley anymore, but a random knock in the middle of the night was one of those things that made his skin crawl. Whenever he was in the Victorian house, he would always imagine that he was alone in the world. No one else existed, there were no people. And when you believed that you were alone in the world, you wouldn't expect another being to appear out of the blue, especially when Hart's home was located deep in the forest where no one would be able to find it.

Before he opened the front door, he looked through the windows but there was no one outside. Riley unlocked the door and opened it, expecting the worst.

“Thank you,” said the voice behind him. Riley jumped, holding back a shriek as he turned around and Seraphina appeared from the shadows, watching him with yellow eyes.

“Where have you been?” he asked, pretending that he hadn't been scared.

“I was searching for Nicholas,” she said. “He'll be here in an hour.”

“And where exactly has he been?”

“I sent him away before all of the chaos happened. I needed to protect him from my mother.”

“Is he alright?” he wondered.

“He's perfectly fine. Now, where is my brother?”

“Right here,” said Hart, appearing at the top of the stairs. Just like Seraphina, he was wearing all black. And with all of the lights in the house off, it was almost impossible to see him. But there was enough moonlight coming through the windows to see his face and his glowing blue eyes.

“I don't understand,” Seraphina said, walking up the stairs to meet her brother half way. “How are your eyes back to normal?”

There was a moment of utter silence as the two shared thoughts. Hart thought about everything Riley had said and done, and how much it helped to stay grounded. Seraphina looked back over her shoulders and smiled at Riley.

“What?” Riley said, shifting uncomfortably.

“Thank you for helping him,” she told him.

“I wasn't going to let him be stuck like that,” he replied.

“How did you know what was happening to him?”

“Two demons told him, they were trying to make Riley destroy the dagger,” Hart answered.

Seraphina looked back at her brother, reading his mind.

“That doesn't make any sense. Demons don't want to destroy the dagger, they want to steal it. Why would they want to destroy it?” she said, confused.

Hart shrugged.

“I have to go,” Riley suddenly announced. “I have to find Annetta before the sun comes out.”

“Who is Annetta?” Seraphina asked.

“A new witch he met,” Hart answered. “A white witch.”

“New as in?”

“She just found out she's a witch,” Riley told her.

“I'll come with you then,” she said, walking down the stairs again. “Our mother is still out there and if you say she's a white witch, then we're going to need her.”