CHP - 4

CHAPTER 4
Hidden Scars

^[Jax in media]^

Ezra walked out the kitchen and went upstairs, opening the door to her small bedroom.

She closed the door behind her and opened the cardboard box. Inside wasn't much. There was a set of black sheets, and two pillows.

These were her bedsheets, the only thing they kept. She already figured they would've thrown out all her stuff so she wasn't surprised.

She tossed the sheets on her mattress and saw her bed frame was disassembled in the box.

And there were a few books.

She pulled them all out and the last thing in it was a small black photo album with her name on it and a picture of her when she was five.

She opened it to find her mother at the hospital holding a little baby in her arms. She had a big smile on her face and tears in her eyes. She was about twenty five in this picture and she was beautiful. Her long dark brown hair was silky and her light chocolate eyes sparkled. The next picture was similar but her dad was there.

They looked so happy. There were many pictures of her, most of the photos had just her, but some of them had her parents or other relatives.

Ezra turned the page but there wasn't a picture. It was just a caption "Ezra - Age One" The same with age two, and up. But when it got to age five and up there were pictures. Then for age eight, there was only one. The picture she'd taken for her file at her first mental hospital.

She wasn't smiling.

The same for age nine, ten, and eleven.
But age twelve had lots of photos.

She was happy in the first couple of them but halfway through she stopped smiling again, and always had her earphones in.

There was one picture for thirteen and fourteen. Fifteen too. But she was wearing her bandanna for age sixteen. There were a few pictures for seventeen but all had fake smiles.

She figured that'd be the end, but there was one for eighteen, nineteen, and twenty too.

She couldn't imagine her parents putting those last two in the album. Maybe Jax did...

Ezra frowned and felt wetness on her cheeks. She wasn't sure when she started crying.

It'd been years since she last did.

She wiped her face and closed the album. She went ahead and decided to distract any more thoughts by setting up her room.

The outcome was simple.

Ezra finished making her bed and sat on it.

She grabbed her phone from her suitcase and slipped her earphones in. Using music to drown out her surroundings and escape.

* * *

Ezra's eyes shot open and she gasped as loud knocking pulled her back to reality. The door opened and a grinning Jax walked in.

"Ez!" She exclaimed happily and walked over.

She took off her earphones and dropped them on her pillow, causing the loud music to echo through the almost empty room.

Ezra stopped her music and looked up at Jax.

"I'm taller than you." She smirked, and patted the top of her head playfully. "Shortie."

Jax chuckled.

Ezra glared up at her and stood up, crossing her arms over her chest and raised an eyebrow.

Ezra stood at 6'2 while Jax stood at 5'7.

"Aw..." She frowned, looking down.

Ezra rolled her eyes at her in amusement.

"Jasmine! Come down here now!" Ezra heard their mother shout from downstairs.

"C'mon!" Jax grabbed her hand and attempted pulling her out the room. She stood still and smirked as Jax pulled as hard as she could.

"C'mon, Ez!" She begged.

"I don't think ya' ma wants me to come."

"I don't care!" Jax yelled.

"Just go." She told her.

"No! Please come. Please, please, please, please, please!" She begged, still pulling Ezra's arm desperately. "Please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please!!"

"Alright! Just shut up."

She allowed Jax to pull her out of the room and down the stairs. They met mother in the kitchen and she glared at Ezra.

"Jax... I was just gone bake some cookies, you wanna help me babe?"

Her eyes lit up with excitement. "Sure! Can Ezra help too?" She asked.

"No." She stated simply.

Jax frowned.

"Oh... okay then, nevermind! C'mon, Ez. " She took her back upstairs and into her room.

Ezra was a little taken aback as she walked in. It was literally her dream bedroom but her parents never would've let her have it.

She closed the door and jumped onto her bed, bouncing up and down for a second.

Her bed had black sheets and white pillows. Her walls were both white and red. The only thing on her nightstand was a small white light and a book. She had a large shelf case.

Ezra walked over to it to see the books.

"Oh, I love reading!" Jax smiled and Ezra turned to look at her. "I've read all of those books at least twice... well... except for the big ones. Those ones are too hard for me. Ma be saying she'll read them to me but she never does... I guess she just don't be having the time. She works, cooks, and cleans. She never has time for me."

"She was just gone spend time with you though..." Ezra rose a brow.

"I know but I wanted to spend time with you."

"Why?"

"Because you my long lost sis, duh."

Ezra sat down next to her on the comfy bed.

"Why you always wearing that?" She asked, gesturing to the bandanna.

"Oh... I just like it." Ezra said.

Jax frowned. "And your sweatshirt? I know it's way too hot for you to be wearing it."

She looked into her big light eyes and sighed. "Ya' parents gone get mad if I took it off."

"I won't tell them you did, I promise."

She reached behind her and pulled her sweatshirt off, letting it fall onto her lap. Jax gasped and her eyes went wider than possible.

"What happened to you? Who did this?" Her hand reached up and one of her fingers touched Ezra's scars, littering her arm.

She ran her fingers up and down the scars.

"Do they hurt?" She whispered, barely audible.

Ezra shook her head.

"Nah. I'm numb so nothing really hurts me no more. I can barely feel you touching on me."

"Who did this to you?" She asked again.

"Mm–" There was a knock at the door and Ezra quickly pulled her sweatshirt back on.

Jax hopped up off the bed and opened up the door. Mother was standing in the doorway.

"Jasmine... it's time fo' bed, take a shower first then get to sleep."

"Really?" She groaned. "Can't I stay up longer?"

"No." She said sternly. "Go take a shower, now."

Jax hung her head low and left the room. And mother glared at Ezrah until she did.

  TBC
***