III - The Mage's Prison

The morning arrived slowly. The prisoners were woken by a thin trickle of sunlight that came in through a grate built into the top of the wall at the far end, through which they could see people's feet moving hurriedly along the street above. They all looked around at the sound of the door opening and the thin man walking through.

He unlocked Libby's cell first and pulled him out of his bed. They marched up the narrow stairs and out of view. Iatus turned to look at the girl and she looked back at him, concern breaking across her face.

"So," started Iatus, "what does your Father do, who fights shedu and conquers Gauls?"

"It doesn't matter."

"Well, it may not matter but it might pass the time," Iatus said hopefully.

The girl sighed, "He is an officer in the 4th Legion."

"So how does a daughter of an officer end up here?"

The girl bit her lip, "He made some enemies among the higher ranks, and they all have friends in the senate, he sent home most of his pay to me and my mother, but one day it just stopped coming. We tried to contact him but we got no reply. I stole to feed my brothers and when I got caught, the magistrate recognised my name and sent me here. Magi do not forgive or forget."

"That is so unfair!" Iatus gasped.

"Tell me about it," the girl said bitterly and slumped back on her bed.

"How come you don't get dragged off to his room like me and Libby?" said Iatus, changing the subject.

"I can read," she replied, picking up a book from the side of her bed and waving it in the air for Iatus to see.

"Oh," was all Iatus could think to say.

Time passed in silence until Livy was brought back, looking bruised and exhausted. The man put him roughly back in his cell and turned to Iatus. He unlocked his cell and they marched off.

They walked up the stairs and down the corridor and into the man's little room. They went through their routine; Iatus repeating the words and then being scolded when he got something wrong.

They repeated the words until Iatus' voice cracked. The man frowned in disapproval, then something strange happened. The man gave a small nod of approval.

"I think tomorrow we will have you try and summon a demon."

"What?" Iatus exclaimed, wheezing slightly.

"I think you are ready to attempt the summons tomorrow, when your voice is back."

"But I've only been here two days!"

"Yes, but you have taken to it rather well, despite your common birth. I don't think you will get any better so we might as well get on with it. Besides, I want to see what this beast looks like, it put the shivers into our legions a few years ago and we might learn something from it. Now let's take you back to your cell, get some rest tonight, you will need it."

Iatus started to protest again but he was grabbed by the collar and dragged off to the cells.

The man shut the door gentler than usual and spoke through the bars, "Try to get some sleep now."

When he had gone the other two prisoners pushed their faces against the bars and Iatus could see their concern.

"Why was he so nice to you?" Libby asked.

"Isn't it obvious? He wants him to summon his demon tomorrow," the girl said.

Libby's mouth hung open a bit, "What, that can't be!"