Wolves Amongst the Sheep

Start from the beginning

"Good," Ruben says, and  they all stop. "Take a fifteen minute break, then I will call you up for  individuals. You will have ten minutes to demonstrate whatever  expertise—Skilled or non-Skilled—you wish. You may use the other room  for practice."

They break, and Allayria  chunks her sword back in the bin, noting Lei's immediate reappearance  as she walks into the other room.

If one's eyes would  slide shut and attention drain away from the clinks and clunks and  mutterings they might see a flutter of bursting, dotting light on the  inside of eyelids, the frantic pulsing of Skill vibrating through every  corner of the room. Most practice small things—twirling bits of rock  over one's hand, directing ants on the ground—but others still use the  opportunity to show off. The grinning golden-haired man from Solveig is  spinning water around him in graceful, looping arcs while chatting to  one of his teammates—a dour, dark-haired girl who bends tree branches  without much consideration.

The other Solveig girl  hogs a whole side of the room, ripping stones out of the floor beneath  her and pummeling them into the wall, like the ceaseless thunder of a  drum. Her blond hair swishes up and down, whipping across her face as  her eyes fix on a spot, as if visualizing some unseen target. When she  finally stops, she swaggers over to the water basin and joins her  teammates.

Curious about what the  Roften hopefuls will do, Allayria looks around and notes several of them  are missing. The one with the large cat is still here—sitting on the  ground, head bent toward his companion in silent communication. He looks  like a distorted shadow of a friend she once knew.

But he was never really my friend, was he?

"Aren't you going to get ready?" Lei demands, and Allayria turns around.

She hadn't really  thought of it, but she probably shouldn't make a complete ass of herself  in front of her potential team. Still, she gives him a cool look, and  then walks toward the basin to collect water.

As she pulls it out, the golden Solveig man glances over.

"One of us, huh?" he says with an easy, but impersonal smile. "The field is getting really crowded. Don't you think, Kali?"

The blond woman looks over at this, and her gaze passes through Allayria.

"As if it matters," she  dismisses as she lets a thread of water trail behind her finger like a  wisp of smoke. "I don't see how the level of competition has changed."

"You seem very sure of yourself," Allayria challenges and the woman really does look at her now.

She shrugs.

"Why shouldn't I be? They want the best of the best and, well..."

She looks around at the others.

The man laughs.

"Still, there will be some  competition," he interjects. "They'll want a healthy mix of Skills. I'd  wager the only one who has no competition is the fire kid." He nods  toward the dark-skinned volunteer who sits alone on the side, simply  staring into the distance.

"But how could anyone  trust him?" the other, dark-haired girl interjects, glancing quickly  back at the boy. "How do we not know he's really one of them?"

"Why don't you hurl some  rocks at his head and find out?" Allayria suggests tartly and walks  away to the sound of the man laughing.

Two Keesark girls glance  up as she passes, one playing with a small lizard scampering over her  arm and the other, a curly-haired slender girl with large, green eyes,  sharpening a short knife. Allayria ignores them, walking up to an  unclaimed dummy and slashing ice spikes at it in anger.