Chapter Three

Josh clung to Nikki, afraid to let go. He pressed her to himself hardly daring to believe that she was real. He had searched so hard to find her and when he'd come up empty handed he'd accepted that she'd gone but yet here she was.

"What have they done to you?" he whispered hoarsely.

"So how come you're free to speak, now?" Sam growled, hostility radiating from him as he rounded on Ezekius.

Ezekius sigh echoed through vast building as he moved to seat himself in a nearby pew. The candles flames danced in his wake, his cloak disturbing the cool air around them.

"When I separated from Latébris each vow binding me was broken. I am now free to speak ... Besides, there is too much silence in her life, Nikki prefers that I use my voice over telepathy." His eyeless face slid slowly to where Josh was crushing Nikki against his frame. "Be gentle with her, those scars do not end at her face."

In his embrace, Josh felt Nikki cringe. He loosened his arms but locked his hands together leaving her nowhere to run. He had only just found her; he wasn't about to risk losing her again.

"Who took your voice? Why can't you talk? How did you get those scars?" Josh reeled the questions off quickly but avoided the one that he was most desperate to get answered.

Ezekius pushed himself up and moved to join Nikki, tentatively squeezing her shoulder. Josh and Sam watched, the easiness and automatic nature of his intimate gesture, revealing just how close the two of them had grown. The demon stroked his thumb over her back in a slow rhythm. He was comforting her and she was welcoming it as her body angled towards her demon companion. Pushing aside his jealousy, Josh grounded himself with the thought that at least now she was back where she belonged ... With him.

"You have to promise that once you have learned the truth, you will leave us in peace." Ezekius rasped.

Mechanically, Josh and Sam both shook their heads.

"I can't promise that, sweetheart. I won't." With gentle precision, Josh slipped his hand beneath Nikki's hood and tilted her face upwards. She resisted for only a moment before allowing their eyes to meet. "I can't lose you again, Nikki, I wouldn't survive it ... I love you." His voice cracked as the first tear rolled down her cheek and dripped to the floor. "I can't lose you again," he repeated.

Eventually she conceded defeat with a sigh and nodded. Twisting out of Josh's embrace she grabbed his hand and walked him over to Sam. Pointing at the hard wooden seats she waited for them to sit before placing herself between the two men.

Without looking at Sam she took his hand in hers and with one last hesitant glance at Josh, let her thoughts flow. Simultaneously, Josh and Sam stiffened and gasped as she pushed her voice in to their minds.

No, she couldn't talk aloud anymore but that didn't mean she couldn't speak for herself. Before she explained herself she momentarily searched their minds. Whilst frantic and confused she was able to settle on one question that they both burned for her to answer.

Taking a steadying breath she began her long explanation.

"After the battle, Ezekius moved my body here, far enough away from anything and anyone who could identify me. Just hours after the battle I died but thankfully it all happened pretty quick.

As my heart stopped beating I was reborn completely demon and as a descendent of Latébris, I can't physically speak until I slay my first human..."

Nikki swallowed and shook her head.

"As far as the Prophets are concerned, I died in the battle and my body got crushed under the water along with all the others. Using that as my cover I stayed hidden to protect that alibi and ... And to keep you all safe. As long as they think I'm dead, they won't come after you, well, anymore than normal."