Chapter Three: Conviction

Mulan throws a fist on the table, "What do you mean he found the cutaways? Those things move every week!" She yells. Pocahontas places a hand on Mulan's shoulder, Naveen shows off the pendant, "Hercules gave this to me in order to find the cutaways, he says that Shan Yu was possibly able to bargain for one from a God named Hades." Pocahontas looks to her hands, "now he's gathering allies across the times and worlds to take over every conceivable time and place until there is nothing but his control." The indigenous woman gazes back at Mulan, "we need your help, Mulan. You've dealt with this man before. We need your insight."

   The warrior looked at her family, who were now scared. It was clear on their faces. Shan Yu should've been old news, but now he's up and causing a storm. There was no discussion, she had to go, she had to finish this. "When do we leave?" She asks the two. Naveen, relieved that the heroine had accepted, replied, "by the sun's first light, you'll need your rest. We all will." Pocahontas hugs Mulan, "I'm sorry we came with such bad news," she whispered. Mulan hugs back, "it's alright. We'll stop him, we'll stop Shan Yu." 

~

  Shang walks down a hall, peering outside he sees his wife, training. Her face sneered at an invisible threat, her movements swift but harsh. Pocahontas walks to Shang's side, "she's very brave," she comments. Shang grimaced, "she is. One of the things I love about her," the native notices his strained gaze, he was concerned. "Will you be joining us, Shang?" The General heard the woman ask, he nodded "of course, I'm not gonna let my wife go into a war alone." 

   Pocahontas hums, "funny, my husband said the same thing. 'It's my world too, and you're part of it,' he said. Always one for words, he is." Shang looks at the tall woman, "where to, are we departing?" He asks.

  The woman thinks, "I believe you'll have to ask Naveen, I was too worried about breaking the news to Mulan slowly, to be focused on such things." Pocahontas extends an arm, her blue sleeve with its intricate golden design, "he's over there, on the bench." For Pocahontas, it was strange to see the Maldonian so deep in thought. Shang walks past the Virginian and towards the man. Pocahontas turns her stare to Mulan. She remembers the first time she met the asian woman. A girl, all drenched in water, with colors she never knew before, and so many layers upon layers. She had braided Mulan's hair, and Mulan had twisted her hair into a bun. The two would run through the forest, laughing as they played. “One day, I will make my father proud to have a daughter.” Those were the words Mulan had told her, and she did. She made her father proud. Pocahontas had become quite skilled in the ways of the dagger, her father training her once the news had come in about the threat of Shan Yu. 

   Naveen turned his head to see Li Shang,  “questions regarding our trip, do you?” he says, scooting over for the General to sit. Shang did not accept, “I assume we’re taking a cutaway, but where are we headed to?” Naveen scoots back over, rubbing his hands together, “that is the question, isn’t it? I’m afraid these cutaways aren’t exactly a one-way route. It’s possible that we land in Virginia, Pocahontas’ home,” Shang looked back to the native, who sat on the railing of the home, “and it’s possible, we could land elsewhere. Nevertheless, I have prepared for every possibility, and my wife made sure of it.” Shang nods, looking back to his wife, Mulan was joined by Pocahontas, the native preparing a stance. He noticed that the woman still wore no shoes. 

    The native spins the bamboo in her hand, her posture straight as she waits for Mulan to strike. The heroine does so. Her attack was blocked by the native, swiping a leg under Mulan that went undetected. The small woman fell on her butt, sighing at the move. Pocahontas looked down at her, “that was a simple mistake, Mulan,” she observed, offering her hand. Mulan takes it, “I know." Pocahontas places a hand on Mulan’s shoulder, “I know we put you in a strained situation, but I need you to clear your mind if you're gonna fight like the dragon you embody” Mulan crosses her arms, frustrated, clearing your mind is one thing, and entirely difficult when you think too hard. Pocahontas takes Mulan’s small hands in her large ones, “tell me how you met Shang,” she encouraged, “what drew your spirit to his?”