I. Amplification with Escalation

It all started when they were 10...

Scuuurrr...a car sped past little Laurent splashing water from a big puddle on the curb on his tiny frame. Abandoned stores and homeless citizens scattered along the streets of Sarcelles. A breeze blew past his fragile body as he remembered that Christmas was just around the corner; however, he wouldn't be getting anything. Why? Not enough money. Plus, his dad was always grumpy at that time of the year...or all year round.

Lau POV (ten years old)

Papa is not well today...again...he punch mama leaving her nose bleed...again...before he went to work this morning. I'm on my way to get milk for dinner at the market...is all we can get with some cabbage. Water would be better, but we can no buy it. Why? Cause the water bill is no paid, so the water is dirty at home. Larry wanna go with me so bad but mama said no cause he need to wash dishes. *giggles* he never washes the dishes like he suppose to. 

When I walk to the door of the market, it opens without touch! *laughs* I love when the door does that. Sometimes, I wish I could have all this nice food at home with family...but, is okay cause mama told me that we poor but we happy *smiles*.  After I get the milk from the coldest isle of the market, I go to Patty, the register lady. She knows my family situation so she know I come here all the time.

Patty - LAU! How you been mon cherie?

Lau -  Allo. I am fine. How are you Miss Patty?

Patty - I am in the Christmas spirit! I am going to see my family in Germany!

Lau -  Good, Miss Patty. See you later and have a Merry Christmas!

Patty - You too mon amie! Give Larry a hug for me!

And now I am walking home with one carton of milk. This weather has me kind of excited for Christmas. I started to count my steps while trying to step over the cracks. 1...2...3...4-

Anonymous - AYE YO! Who you think you are?

Lau - Oh je suis désolé! I- I didn't know where I wa-

Anonymous #2 - Oh I see! Little man wants to pick a fight right? Awww look at you. So cute. C'mon boys! Let's teach this little guy to pick on someone his own size.

Lau - No! Please ! I no mean to-

The first  guy tackled me and the second one yanked my afro. The third and the fourth held me down by my arms and legs as the first two started punching my face and kicking me in the ribs. I...can't...breathe.

Larry POV (ten years old)

I was almost done washing dishes. Thank GOD! I was washing the knives and forks and my cheek started hurt really bad. Then my stomach felt like someone just punched it. It kept going over and over again. WHAT HAPPEN TO ME?! I run upstairs and look in the mirror...my cheeks are bruised, and my ribs are bright red...and m-my eyes are...gray? I- Ouch! Ugh i-it hurts. I started to cry in fear and I couldn't call mama cause she went to go water her flowers in the garden. Maybe I shou- OW!

Larry and Lau - AAAAAAH!!!!!

My head hurts soooo bad. I- It's too much. I no know what wrong with m- Lau?...Lau...no no no. My brother...LAU!!