"He was tough on me always like a drill sergeant, dad, and a professional coach in one. He was a soldier in a war before and then...he was sent home and got into alcohol. My dad...did terrible things to my mother and I and was hardly ever home. Yet when he was he used training as an excuse to abuse me."

"That would explain your military style training." Chief said.

"Yeah. If I wasn't looking up at the stars with mom or hiding in my room we'd be "training". He would be an entirely different person as we attacked each other like. I was an enemy and he was the soldier. Mom disapproved many times when she saw my bruises. Then she passed away and things got even worse until I finally said enough was enough and ran to my Aunt's home." I said lost in my words.

Then I realized I was pouring my heart and telling my life and even my abusive drunk of a father to a complete stranger I just learned their name's of hours ago. What was wrong with me?!

I shut my mouth wishing I had a needle and thread to shut my mouth before anything else personal escapes past my lips. I focused on outside watching as we passed only stars instead of planets and other things, yet it was still beautiful to my eyes.

"What are you doing awake?" Chief asked after a while of silence.

"Couldn't sleep. My whole world pretty much went belly up in less than a month." I sighed holding Hero closer, "What is war even good for? All it does is kill the innocent and make the ones who fight traumatized."

"War is harsh, but sometimes necessary."

"Yeah, necessary for evolution." I scoffed.

It was silent for another minute. I felt really tired by then and I wanted to drop down on the floor and pass out.

"Chief...do you ever sleep?" I asked.

"Rarely." He replied.

I could tell he didn't want to go any further and rubbed my eye, "I'm going to try to get some sleep. Hopefully I'll see you tomorrow."

He nodded and I walked off leaving him alone. I went back into bed and couldn't help but wonder why I felt so strange around him. By no means was I in love!

I just felt like there was a bond between us for some reason. The woman said they noticed my DNA was awfully similar to a spartan, but there was no way in hell it could be Chief.

Right?

The next morning I discovered the woman who I shared the bunk with was called Abby. She apparently had a daughter my age but she was killed during the attack.

Before she left she had grabbed a small suitcase of her daughters things including clothes. I chose an outfit and styled my hair before heading out for breakfast.

We all got protein packed slop that kind of looked like porridge but more...less appetizing. Hero was lucky and was able to get puppy feed which seemed a lot more better than this.

I was looking for Chief the whole time and was trying to hide from or avoid any doctors. As I was looking around I heard a shaking voice say, "Miss?"

I looked around until I saw a soldier was standing next to me looking nervous like I was an angry beast going to attack him. He probably heard of how I had possibly broke a bone or more of two soldiers.

"What is it?" I asked putting my plastic spoon down.

"Uh, I was sent to lead you to where your needed in the science sector." The man said, in his eyes he was begging me not to make him use force.

The porridge slop wasn't very good anyways so I got up and followed him with Hero walking next to me. He lead me down many corridors and every time I passed by a window I couldn't stop staring at the outside.