Chapter 3: Surprise Attack

Start from the beginning

Dragging over my bag I take out my sketchbook and look through my window. I begin sketching the moon then I draw the outline of a boy, gazing up into the dark sky. He seems to be looking for something more than what he has on Earth. Now I slowly reform the shape of the moon into a shape of a girl with a face as bright as the moon in the darkest night. The girl sits there dangling her feet over the crescent; well obviously she’s like the boy fishing on the moon. Maybe it’s his cousin, or his sister? Noticing my strokes on the page become sloth like and lighter I drop the book on the floor and curl up in my bed thinking of the boy who talks to the moon.

 (Yup Bruno Mars inspired this paragraph)

****************

“Mari please! It’s the last dance of the year and there’s going to be free food, free guys and free dancing! Plus it’s a masquerade, who doesn’t love a good bunch of teenagers wanting to get with someone they don’t know?” My ribs were beginning to ache because Gabriella kept jabbing me with her stupid elbow. We were currently walking from school to the shelter and I was getting even more tired each step I took. Of all days to volunteer, Monday would probably be the worst. Not to mention talking about this dance was draining the life out of energetic Mari Harts. 

“Gabe, you know how I feel about dances? I went to that other one for you.”

“Girl, that was junior high grad and you were stuck in the bathroom sh*tting you guts out.”  I rolled my eyes and scoffed as Gabe began laughing about that ridiculous incident that happened two and a half years ago.

“Shut up! I had a cup of coffee thinking I needed the energy.” Defending myself after a stupid mistake like that would never stop the fact that it was going to be implanted in my best friend’s mind until we were rocking chair old.

“Miss I’m-Going-To-Drink-Coffee-Even-Though-I-Know-How-My-Stomach-Handles-Coffee-Because-I’m-Fricking-Lactouse.” Even though that was so uncalled for I knew that described me. I love coffee but it made me have a stomachache and this was also the time I didn’t discover the magical potion of an energy drink, which was practically a hyper potion that was made for humans.

“Forget it. I’m not attending that dance and nothing you can do will make me go, I am an independent woman, that’s final!” My mini presidential speech right there made me feel proud being a feminist. Go girls!

“Chill girl, I know you probably don’t want to go, you’ve got other things going on, am I right?” Of course out of all people Brock had to tell Gabe what happened between Ryan and I, knowing Brock he probably snuck some exaggerations in that story.

“So how is hot, sexy Ryan, who owes his life to my wonderful best friend?” We approach the shelter entrance while Gabe’s pale arm swings around as if she were being carried on cloud 9 where unicorns poop magical rainbows, or something along those lines.

“I haven’t seen him anymore, maybe I scared him away.” My shoulders shrug and I let my gaze fall to the ground disappointed. No matter how much he aggravated me, Ryan seemed like there was more to him than the poor beaten boy I witnessed. Let’s just say I was like Miss Swan and Ryan was Jack Sparrow, he was full of secrets that kept my curiosity wanting to know more about him. Strange comparison, I know but what can I say? A pirate’s life for me.

Out of nowhere a voice speaks from beneath the shadows of the alleyway beside the shelter. “Nothing scares me.” Then guess who walks out? Its the one, the only, Ryan Hills.

“Hey there sexy,” Ryan sends me a wink and smugly grins. “Nice to see I was missed by you.” At this moment I really don’t know what to say considering I’ve never been called sexy before. Stunned by Ryan’s greeting and well presence, I gape with my mouth hanging open until Gabe’s hand collides with my cheek.

“What the hell is wrong with you? Are you so star struck but handsome over here that you loss all your brain capacity in a snap? Goodness girl, I need to get you out more!” After Gabe’s humiliating tiny rant and playful but painful wake-up call, she walks over and mumbles in Ryan’s ear a good luck then makes her way inside the building laughing to herself.

“What are you doing?” I’m completely shocked he is actually standing in front of me, honestly he seems like the type of person to move on. Guess I was wrong.

“I took your advice and stayed overnight until Mel came in. She fixed me up and now I’m good as new. As for why I’m here, I asked Mel what days and shifts you work so I could come and see you.” Awkwardly I rub my right foot up and down my leg trying to figure out a reason Ryan would come and see me, although nothing seemed to be coming to mind.

“You wanted to see me because?” I titled my head like I usually do when I’m confused.

“Because I wanted to thank you, what you did for me was really kind and I guess we were both in sour moods. I’m sorry for acting so rude, though I got to admit, if you were a seducer you’d probably get the most information out of me.” He laughs when I decided to tip my head more to the side because right now I had no clue what the hell was going on.

“Why me? You can obviously tell I’m not seductive, I’m more geeky than anything.” Surprisingly Ryan took a step closer and grabbed my wrist pulling me to him.

“For one, your innocence is extremely adorable, your humour is top notch, and who says a nerd can’t be sexy?” He gave me a gorgeous toothy smile then slowly leaned in. In a perfect world my eyes would flutter close and he would be my first kiss.

Hate to break it to you but this isn’t a princess fairy tale.

Instead my eyes widen and I’m about to scream “ARE YOU INSANE?” when the last second Ryan comes in and swoops to the side, bringing his head down to my shoulder to hug me.

“Thank you so much.” His voice is barely a whisper as he wraps his arms around my body and in another perfect world I would hug him back and rub his beautiful back. Instead of that, however my arms are stuck to the side were I awkwardly stand immobile because Ryan is a bear hugger.

Good to know.

“One more thing,” I hear as I am released from the warm cage of arms, “Mel says you’ll be my personal volunteer for helping me get my life back on track.” As my face falters his only widens, “That means we’ll be spending a lot of time together.” In my once again stunned state I can only utter one word.

“Splendid.”