XIII- Flight

There are instances in your life when you have the choice to become the one who cowers or dominates; cat or mouse;  fight or flight, if you will.

Sehun's wide-set shoulders were tense, his dark eyes focused solely on the broken knob trembling in a terrified, coffee-tan hand. His lips were thin set, hands stuffed in his jean pockets.

Junmyeon was viewing the scene with the fear of a father chicken, feathers thoroughly ruffled.

Kyungsoo silently threw up a peace sign before he exited through the swinging kitchen door.

"Jongin," the tall man repeated, calmly this time as he slowly pulled his slender, firm hands out of his pockets. Kai's muscles visibly tensed. "If you don't get your off-brand aladdin lookin head ass," He was grabbing the nearest wooden spoon from the counter, holding it threateningly above his head, "away from my million-won oven-"

"RUN," Jane roared as the angry soon-to-be manager started to wave the spoon towards a scrambling Jongin and Zitao.

I sprinted after Kyungsoo along with everyone else who was shoving each other out of the way in a flurry of god-made fear, not knowing how I'd escape with the 4 hour shift ahead of me.

Sehun tried to grab ahold of my cousin's shirt tail, only causing the top buttons to pop open before the shorter man broke into a sprint past me, bumping my shoulder with an "oof!".

"MOVE, EGGHEAD," Tao screeched, using Kyungsoo's body to open the front entrance. Jane came out behind Sehun, punching out casually on the panel and strutting away as the boys fled the café, leaving me with a tall, defeated man. I stared at the door that was slowly closing behind my blonde friend, wishing I could follow her to safety.

A frustrated groan left Sehun's lips as he put his hands on the counter next to me, eyes narrowed vehemently at the exit. "A million won. I'm going to kill that short piece of-"

"It only takes about 2,000 won to fix a knob," I mumbled to the moody boy, cautiously testing the waters with the wooden paddle still threateningly sitting in hand.

I wasn't that kinky.

...

Not for Sehun, at least.

"Liar."

My eyes snapped wide at the brunette boy, my voice coming out shrill, "Come again?"

His dark eyes flicked to me, his face flat.

How much does a funeral cost?

"That knob controls the whole oven," he ran a hand through his hair and stood up straight again, a very solemn, pissed look on his face. "The whole thing might as well be broken."

I visibly relaxed. After gathering my withering dignity for half of a cool moment, I pushed off of the counter behind me and motioned to the kitchen door. "Follow me, Seaspoon."

The coziness and steady buzz of the café disclosed itself behind us as we entered the kitchen again. Crouching in front of the oven, I held my hand out and simply demanded, "Handle."

Sehun looked down at me strangely, but handed it to me.

Tucking my hair behind my ears to keep it out of my face, I held the cold knob to its place. I held out a free hand, "Screwdriver."

"Who are you supposed to be, Bob the Builder?" he impatiently grumbled, digging through a drawer for it anyway.

"Good one," I sarcassed monotonously as he placed the small tool in my hand. My hands worked to screw the knob back where it previously hung, Sehun scrutinizing from behind. I smiled as it slid in with a satisfying "Skrt!".