Chapter 7 - Thankful

The end of October drifted away, blown into November with the now changing and falling leaves. From the night at the movies, their first date, Y/N and Bucky were inseparable. Something about that night created a strong bond and neither of them were embarrassed to admit they now needed the other. It was much faster than they'd expected but it was so sweet.

Bucky had thoughts that if for some reason, this relationship didn't work out, he really didn't think he could ever find someone better suited for him. He knew he was getting ahead of himself but Y/N kept him on his toes, she kept the butterflies in his stomach, she made him want to take care of her. And she made him laugh. He laughed until it hurt. He hadn't felt this alive in seventy years. He was really living now.

Y/N was crazy for Bucky. He was charming but strong and silent at the same time, in that way, he was a mystery to her. But she wanted every part of him and she wanted to care for him. She could already tell he had some discomfort opening up completely. He'd kissed her many times but that was as far as things went physically. Her guess was that his arm was a constant struggle for him, so she treaded lightly and watched out for him. And when he smiled, shivers would run up her body. She just wanted more and more of that smile, those little crinkles around his eyes. If she thought something would make him laugh, she went for it with all she head. The results shown on his face were the best reward.

With different schedules, the days they could spend time together were few. But they made every attempt. The phone calls and a bit of texting were the glue that held them together between visits.

Walking out of a Chinese restaurant on Thanksgiving evening, Y/N reached out to hold the hand that Bucky was holding out to her. She wrapped her gloved hand into his and sighed with content. "I know this is.... like.... realllllly, really corny... but, I just wanted to tell you I'm thankful for you." She laughed at herself softly before looking up at him. "I'm just feeling the spirit of the day," she admitted.

"You're not corny, you're sweet," he said and leaned in for a little peck on the lips. "And, you know, I'm thankful that you came into my life, too. I really needed a girl like you."

"Awww, you're just teasing," she laughed.

"No, I promise, I'm not," he said seriously. "I just can barely remember what it was like before you came along. I know it hasn't been that long..."

"I know, right? It's fast... but, I think it's okay."

"Yeah," he said quietly, looking right at her. "It's definitely okay." Bucky squeezed her hand as they kept walking. It seemed like everywhere they looked, businesses were starting to put up Christmas decorations. "Your hand is cold even through your glove!" he marveled. "We should get you home."

"I don't want to go home," she whined playfully. "I want to walk around with you and look at the Christmas lights." She looked at him with a pitiful face. "I love it," she whispered.

She had Bucky's heart in her hand and he laughed softly. "Okay, but let's get something warm in your hands." A couple blocks away, they found a coffee shop and bought hot chocolate.

"That's so much better," she smiled as she sipped the hot chocolate. He watched her breath float out of her mouth as she spoke. Totally enamored with her happy face, Bucky grinned at her, barely paying attention to where he stepped. "Look at that!" she said, excitedly. "That's the prettiest light display I've seen yet!"

He looked in the direction of her gaze and sure enough, there was a large light display. It lit her face up in warm colors and her eyes had an extra glow.

"It's beautiful," she said, looking at the lights.

"It is," he said, watching her face, only thinking about her.

"We should take a picture," she said, digging her phone out of her jacket pocket.

"You want a picture of the lights?" he asked.

"I want a picture of us," she grinned at him. "Come here." Just then a woman was walking by and Y/N flagged her down. "Excuse me, will you take a picture for us?" The woman smiled and reached for the phone, asking if they wanted a picture in front of the lights. Y/N nodded and she and Bucky smiled as the woman snapped a few photos. "Thank you so much!" she said as the woman returned the phone and gave them a smile. "Happy Thanksgiving," the woman said as she walked away. They called out "Happy Thanksgiving" after her.

Y/N looked down at the screen, holding her phone with her red gloves. "Awww, it's our first picture together."

Bucky put his arm around Y/N and pulled her closer. "You gonna be my girl?" he asked with a boyish grin.

"Aren't I already?" she questioned.

"You are... you are," he whispered as he kissed her tenderly.