Chapter 6

The road suddenly went from flat to a bump every few feet. I looked out the window to see we were driving on a boardwalk. I smiled when the ocean came into view and the smile grew even bigger when I realized this means I get to see my parents again.

I stood up slowly and went to stand between Charle's and Nancy's seat, balancing on them softly. I watched as the beach became familiar. 

"Over there." I said pointing to the left at a baby blue beach house. "We stayed there."

Charles turned the wheel and slowly came to a stop right beside the house. I rushed to the door to have James land a beefy hand on my shoulder. "Hold up." He said, his voice still scratchy. "We don't know if they are still there or not." He pulled out the pistol, made sure it was loaded and opened the door slowly. As he stepped down cautiously, I followed. 

I turned back to Nancy and Charles. "You two stay here. I'll singal you if it's okay to come in." He nodded and a ran to catch up with James who was already on the front step.

"Call out to them." He whispered softly over his shoulder.

"Mom...? Dad..? It's me, Melanie." I said a little louder then my regular speaking voice. 

Rustling came from inside the house and James put a hand out to keep me still. 

"Mom... It's me. Open the door." Suddenly the door cracked and an eye looked right at us. The door swung open and a fat old man stood in front of us.

"Is there anymore of you?" He asked looking around cautiously. 

"Yes. Two are in the RV."

"Get them inside."

I hopped down the steps and signaled Charles and they jumped out and started running toward us. As we piled in the house, candles were lit around the room. Boards are nailed to the windows, covering the glass so not one ray of sun could come through.

"My name is Jeb." The old fat man said. His eyes were a pale baby blue with a cherry red nose. 

"My name is Mel. This is James, Charles, and his daughter Nancy." I introduced.

"I would say it was nice to meet you, but not when the world is like this."

"We are looking for her parents." James butted it, becoming impatient. 

"Right. There is a couple in the other room. I've tried to pack up and move a couple of times but they keep saying they are waiting on their daughter. Maybe you're the bad luck that's almost had us killed thousands of times."

I looked down at my feet. 

"Stacy! Mike! I have a surprise for you." Jeb hollered. James pulled me behind him, thinking that this was some kind of joke. I peeked around his arm to see if my parents were really here.

Dad came out first, his green eyes were red from crying. My mother had her hands wraped around his arm, her face flushed. "What is it, Jeb?" 

Jeb pointed a big sausage finger at James and myself. Their eyes followed and I stepped out from behind James. "Mom? Dad?"

Mom dropped to her knees. "Melanie.." I ran into her arms dropping down onto my knees and held her. 

"Mom.." She cried into my shoulder, soothing my hair, trembling. I looked up at my father who stood wide-eyed. "Daddy?" 

He dropped to his knees, too. Joining our reuniting fest. We cried, we kissed, we hugged. "I knew you would come." My mother kept repeating over and over again. "I told you, Mike. She came."