Chapter 4

It seemed to be around noon when I woke up, crying with my head in James' lap. He was lightly stroking my hair while looking out the car window watching the trees moving by quickly. I wiped my eyes and looked up at the twenty year old man. His blonde hair was messy but cute. He had a light brown five o'clock shadow and light green eyes. His shoulders set perfectly under his neck and head and his muscles poke through his shirt.

He glaced down at me, a smile spread across his face slightly. I smiled back, friendly of course. I sat up quickly and ran my fingers through my hair. "Sorry." I mumbled, feeling foolish.

"It's perfectly fine." He said smoothly patting my knee.

"We better find a new vehicle soon, we are running on E." Chimed in Charles and looked at us through the rear view.

"How much father do we have, Daddy?" Asked Nancy cheerfully. "I wanna go to the beach!"

"We are about an hour away." He responded patting her head.

The beach. Somewhere I haven't gone in two years. I could not wait to smell the salty sea air.

"Maybe we can stop by a camp ground. Find some safe food, maybe even a camper." James said, interrupting my thoughts.

"Sounds good enough, the next camp ground is about a mile away. Wont take long." Nancy popped in a CD she found in the car and started swaying to the music. I smiled watching her, remembering how I have always wanted a sibling.

When I was little, Mom and Dad would work so much and watch after me so little. I would always get lonely. I decided I wanted a sister or a brother. I walked up to Mom one day in my shiny Mary Jane's and asked for a sister, only to hear her laugh and call me crazy.

I twirled my hair and leaned against the window watching trees pass by quickly.

Soon, we turned into the camp ground. "Well, here we are." Said Charles and turned the car off. I opened my door and climbed out slowly. I opened Nancy's door for her and she slid her hand into mine.

"Mel! Lets go look for food!" She started jumping up and down.

"Okay okay. Charles. You okay with it?" I looked over and Charles, who has not gotten out the car yet. He just nodded. "Alright, we will be back soon."

We started down the path as Nancy started singing a song about butterflies and flowers. I smiled watching the sun hit her in a way that made her shine. She skipped as her black hair flopped up and down. "Nancy don't go so far." I called out and she nodded and ran back to me. "Do you miss school?"

"Nu uh! I'm glad there is no more school." She smiled a smile. I just noticed her two front teeth were missing.

I laughed. "What grade are you in?"

"I'm in fifth grade. I am the smartest in the WHOLE class." She said swaying side to side.

"I bet so. You seem very bright."

She smiled again and ran up the path and started hopping and laughing. I watched her but then, she stopped.

"Nancy?" She was silent. "Nancy?!" I ran up to her and looked at what she was looking at.

My mouth fell open and I quickly grabbed her and put my hand over her mouth and pulled her into the trees off to the side. There was a little over a dozen Skinwalkers staggering around in circles, moaning. I put a finger to my lips motioning to Nancy to stay quiet. She nodded and put a finger to her lips. I gazed at the Skinwalkers and noticed just how ugly they really are.

Hair was falling out everywhere on top of their head.Their eyes a pale grey, and blood seeping out of where they were bitten. Their skin a dead yellowish grey and their clothes ratted from trying to fight off the one that bit them.

I reached behind me and went to grab the gun out of my shorts, but all I felt was my bare back. It was gone. "Dammit." I whispered.

The Skinwalkers were getting closer to us and I panicked. I took Nancy by the shoulders and looked into her chocolate brown eyes. "I am going to run on direction. Wait until the coast is clear and run to get your dad."

"Promise you will come back?"

I nodded. "I promise.

She stuck out her pinkie and I wrapped mine with hers. I stood up, took a deep breath and ran out into the road. "Hey! Zombutts! All you can eat RIGHT HERE!" They all looked at me and started running to me, I turned on my heels and ran. I ran as fast as I could.