Chapter Seven: First Daughters

Declan

Once again, Declan stood outside the Godelieve home brimming with anxiety. Phoebe invited him to join the family for dinner and cake, and it would be a lie to say he wasn't excited to see Lux again. All day his thoughts were consumed with thoughts of her- her soft curves pressing against him, her full lips turning up in a smile, and her thunderstorm eyes glinting gold beside the fire- but it was a frantic message from Phoebe that was responsible for the knot of tension in his gut.

"Hello, Declan. Why am I not surprised to see you here?"

Declan lowered the hand he'd raised to knock on the door and turned toward the rich, feminine voice drifting from the shadows. "Hello, Lux. I didn't see you there."

She was sitting on the porch swing, one leg pulled up so she could rest her head on her knee, the other stretched out in front of her. A painted toe pushed the swing back and forth. She wore a top that fell off one shoulder, the sleeves so long it covered her hands. Her thick hair was piled on top of her head, stray curls loose around her oval face. In this time and the last, he'd seen plenty of beautiful women, many decked out in rich garments and makeup, but Lux, even in the absence of those airs, was breathtaking.

She sighed and stopped swinging. "You wouldn't I suppose. It's dark, and you've been staring at the front door for the better part of ten minutes."

His skin flushed, something that was becoming a common occurrence around this girl. "Sorry, I guess I was just nervous."

"Nervous?"

"I'm showing up to your party without an invitation."

She laughed. The sound held no humor. "I wouldn't exactly call it a party, but you're more than welcome here."

"Did Kitty and Travis leave?" He'd helped her load them into Kitty's car the previous night. Both were intoxicated to the point of slurring and stumbling. Lux promised they would sleep it off at her house, though Declan had been less than pleased with the idea of a man spending the night in her room.

"They did. Travis skipped the shopping trip this morning. Kitty came along but left after it turned into a complete and utter failure."

"Kitty went with you?"

Phoebe mentioned she'd been in contact with other families in the Circle, but she hadn't provided him with any names. Still, he should have suspected after seeing her bracelet last night, but his ability to think rationally was being held hostage by a certain birthday girl. Lux would enjoy having a friend on this journey.

"Yep," Lux replied. "It would seem she's better at keeping secrets than I thought. She didn't want to stick around for explanations."

He tensed. Phoebe hadn't provided him with many details in her message, but he'd wondered if it had something to do with Lux's trip to choose her channeling stone. Could it be that she didn't choose the stone they'd hoped for? Was there another girl out there who'd caused him to wake from his spell induced slumber? He didn't believe it was possible, but Lux's quiet beauty and spirit was beginning to mess with his heart. Could it be messing with his intuition as well?

"What happened?"

"Nothing. That seems to be the problem. Apparently, picking out a gemstone for jewelry is some important to do for your seventeenth birthday."

"What did you choose?" He tried to ask nonchalantly, but he failed. And Lux's indrawn breath let him know she was aware of the failure.

"You too?"

She jumped off the swing, bare feet slapping against the wooden porch. She stormed into the house, leaving him to scramble after her. "Lux, wait!"

The girl didn't slow. She burst into the kitchen, settled her hands on her hips, and glared at her mother and grandmother. "I am done. Do you hear me? Done. You told me to give you the rest of the day to explain. It's been the rest of the day."

Bella and Phoebe sat on barstools, their posture identical and their faces defeated. Declan moved around Lux until he was standing behind the older women. He needed to see her face when she found out the truth.

"Lux, sit down for this," Phoebe said.

The defiant teenager in the girl won out, and she crossed her arms over her ample chest. Her chin lifted, she responded, "I'm good right here."

Bella and Phoebe shared a look, and the barest hint of a smile tugged at Bella's lips. Her daughter's attitude wouldn't be appreciated on most occasions, but she'd never wanted this life for Lux. Anything that would put her off of it would be welcome in her mind, but he knew it couldn't be as she wished.

"Lux, earlier today you told Ruby something about our family. Do you remember what it was?"

Like a deflated balloon, the girl sagged, her eyes wide with knowing. "We are the First of the First Daughters."

"Yes," Phoebe continued, "I would've told you all of this sooner, but your mother- don't look at me like that Bella, it's true- your mother wouldn't let me. If I'd known you were already showing signs of power, I'd have ignored her request. Most young witches have flashes of insight before the other half of their soul awakens, but never to the extent that I've recently learned you've been having."

"Please tell me you didn't just utter the word witch." Lux looked at her mother, eyes wide and waiting for Bella's support. "Mama?"

"Listen to your grandmother."

"Yes, I used the word witch, but only because it's the easiest way to classify ourselves. It's what people can understand."

Lux took the seat that had been suggested earlier. "Kitty? Ruby? Do they believe they're witches as well?"

Phoebe beamed with pride. "You're a smart girl, my granddaughter. Yes, they will be members of your Circle. Kitty is an earth witch. Ruby's gifts are a little darker, but it's easiest to call her a fire witch. There should be other girls in this town who will fall under your leadership."

"My leadership?"

"As a daughter of the Godelieve line, you will be the High Priestess."

Lux hunched forward and lowered her brows. "I don't understand any of this. Why now?"

Declan touched Phoebe's shoulder. "I think you should start at the beginning."

Phoebe agreed, but Bella launched into the explanation, her expression haggard. "A Trueborn witch has two parts to her magic. There is the magic in your blood, and the magic in your soul. Blood magic is present at birth. The stronger the family line, the stronger your power is before your seventeenth birthday. On your seventeenth birthday, your soul magic awakens and without a proper channeling stone, your magic 'll overwhelm you. You'll be dangerous."

Lux stared at her mother, searching for deceit. Finding none, she said, "But I didn't find a stone."

Declan felt lightheaded. Of all the things they'd considered, this was the worst outcome. A Trueborn witch without a stone was unheard of. "How could she not be aligned with any of the elements?" he rasped.

"Maybe, and I can't believe I'm speaking like I believe all of this," Lux replied, "But maybe I'm not a trueborn witch."

"It isn't possible," Bella replied, "You are trueborn. More so than most."

"What does that mean?" Lux asked.

"We are called the First Daughters because we descend from mortal women who loved fallen angels. Their unions created great powers in mortal daughters. Your grandmother is, so I am, and so are you."

"Bella," Phoebe prompted, asking what Declan was thinking, "What did you mean when you said she was more than most?"

Bella Godelieve dropped her gaze to her hands. Clenching and unclenching her fists, tears choked her response. "I think Lux's father is a fallen angel."