Shadow of Light

The tears I've been holding back finally escape, and I cover my mouth as I turn away from him, knowing that I can't lean on him or go to him for comfort because my affections might only put him in a worse state because of Christine's rejection.

"Shh, come here, Little Shadow." His voice is close and in a few moments he has me enveloped in his arms. "I'm so sorry."

Though my heart is in agony, I can't let him pin all of this blame on himself. He cannot blame himself for loving someone that is not me, and I won't allow it.

"I-It's not. . .your fault." I choke out through sobs, turning towards him and burying myself in the warmth of his chest as my body trembles violently. "It's n-never been your f-fault."

My fingers tighten around the fabric of his shirt, and I can't seem to find anymore will left within me to stop crying. The tears just keep coming.

"Shh, I am here, Shadow." His voice is comforting and coaxing.

It's his voice that allows my boisterous sobbing to become soft, sporadic whimpers; his voice and touch alone persuades my body to go from fierce trembling to lighter shudders. Nevertheless, my fingers are clinging desperately to his shirt, as I fear letting go.

His fingers run through my hair and send waves of electricity spiraling through my body from the top of my head to the tips of my toes. My eyes flutter shut involuntarily, and I can feel myself relax. I'd have never imagined that such a simple act of petting my hair could feel so satisfactory.

"I never realized how lucky I was to have you by my side," Erik breathes, as I listen contently to his voice. "I'm so sorry."

I feel a small bout of pride wash over me at the idea that I am the source of his undivided attention right now, and I hope against all hope that I can stay here in his arms forever.

"I was such a fool," He continues, remorse saturating his tone. "I wanted to be accepted and loved, but I was too idiotic and obsessed to realize that I had that in you."

Though I want to protest that it is only natural for humans to want attention and love, I can't respond because of the mind-numbing experience of being captured in his arms. Perhaps allowing him to speak how he feels will allow him to feel better, anyway.

"I hurt you." The crack in his voice returns, obliterating all sense of contentment since he has become upset again. "I'm sorry."

"Please, Erik," I beg as I look up at him. "Please do not be upset anymore. I have already forgiven you. You have deep affections for her and that is no fault of your own. Please. You don't have to be sad anymore."

A wistful sigh escapes his lips as he gazes at me with sorrow.

"You still have the gall to support me, even though I have put you through so much anguish." He looks down at his feet with tears in his eyes. "I do not deserve a woman such as yourself, Shadow."

Reaching up, I lift his chin up and wipe away each tear I see that falls.

"You deserve support, Monsieur Erik." I sniffle, clenching my jaw in an effort to keep my tears at bay again, "In fact, I think you deserve so much better than me. Please don't cry. . ."

A dry chuckle escapes his lips, startling me for a brief moment as I look at him.

"There is none better than you, dear Shadow." He says with conviction, before his eyes glaze over with grief and guilt once more. "All I ever wanted, you gave, and I was too blinded by a childish obsession to see that."