The Phantom's Shadow Becomes The Phantom's Star

When I wake up, I'm in his arms. His black cloak, silky and warm, is wrapped securely around me as I lay against his chest, and his heartbeat sounds strongly in my ears. It takes me a few moments to realize that I'm not with Christine any longer, and I have no idea why I'm here right now.

     Am I dreaming?

     I take a moment and realize that he's looking off in the direction of the entrance of the cave, appearing lost in his thoughts. I decide to use this moment to actually analyze him.

     His eyes, though an icy blue, hold a darkness that makes his emotions almost impossible to read. Black hair is slicked back smoothly and out of his face, contrasting beautifully with those eyes.

          "Awake?" He turns to me as if he knows I've been observing him, so I look towards the entrance of the cave and act as though I haven't been staring.

     He strokes my hair once, probably trying to see if I'm listening to him or not, before he quickly retracts his hand - almost as if he's been stung.

          "Yes." I finally respond after a moment's pause. "Did you not return me, with Christine?"

          "I told you, you must stay down here. You must stay with me."

-------------------------------------------------

     My mind is in a haze as gentle nudges try to coax me out of my slumber. What could the Phantom possible want from me now?

     With a groan, I sit up and face the side the nudging is coming from, trying for an annoyed look. It fails, however, and rapidly shifts into an expression of shock as I realize I'm in the bed in the room Christine and I share; every one of the ballet girls is gathered around me with Christine and her friend Meg, and they're all gazing upon me with interest and fright.

     So. . .had it really been a dream that the Phantom had kept me in his lair? Or had all of last night been a dream and I really just slept through Christine's return from the performance?

     I'm unable to answer that question at the current moment, due to the cacophony of voices shouting at me to get up.

          "Shadow! Shadow! Are you okay?" They're all demanding. "You've been asleep for hours! Come on, we have rehearsal."

     Trying to concede with their wishes, I hastily get out of bed before feeling a wave of dizziness overtakes me, making me comprehend that I've gotten up too fast.

     Several girls gasp and rush to my aid so I don't make contact with the floor.

          "Are you okay, Shadow?"

     Too befuddled to respond, I keep my mouth closed and don't answer. Since my head is overflowing with questions, unsurprisingly a headache accompanies that.

     Whispers ensue as Christine slowly makes her way over to us, her face contorted into an expression of utter concern.

          "Shadow, please answer us."

     I look at her sincerely, wanting to confide in her about everything while also knowing that I can't because of all the people around us.

     So, I settle for speaking about what I can.

          "My head hurts." I whimper, wincing as a stab of pain hits me.

     One of the girls is keenly observing me as I say this, and moments after I finish my explanation she takes in a deep breath in astonishment.

           "Shadow! What happened to you?!" She runs over, touching my cheek.

     Is the mark still there?!

          "Oh, yeah. Well, see, that was from--"

          "Carlotta got angry at her yesterday, and came in and slapped her."

     Everything grows deathly silent.

     And then, Monsieurs Firmin and Andre come in.

          "Ah, here they--goodness! Shadow, dear, what happened to your cheek?"

          "Carlotta." Meg deadpans.

     Firmin and Andre exchange glances.

          "I'm sorry, Shadow. You don't look like you feel well. Are you okay?"

     Okay? Ha. At this point, I'm certain that being "okay" will be a rare luxury for me.

          "I think she should relax for today." Madame Giry suggests, a knowledgeable light in her eyes.

     Although I've already gotten used to Madame Giry as strict and unrelenting with practices - which makes this suggestion completely out of place - I don't question her decision. My mind is already so full of questions that I can't seem to find room for anymore.

     Out of nowhere, a feeling deep within my soul prompts me to sing. It's the same feeling I had when Christine and I first heard the Phantom singing his melodious song last night. I try to keep it held in once again, but even though I succeed, there is an air of disappointment that surrounds me.

          Sing, Shadow, and you too, can become a star. He whispers, seemingly from directly behind me.

     The Phantom. He's prompting me to sing by some. . .some type of unknown power! It's like with some unknown force of his, he is urging my body to take over for me and sing since my mind refuses to.

     My song begins in tones low and dramatic, making a few people stop talking and eye me with curiosity. They seem to wonder why I'm having this strange outburst of song. As my voice rises in pitch and volume, I soon have everyone's attention, and by the end of the tune, I don't even feel like I'm the one singing anymore.

     And once I'm done, with everyone's eyes on me, I blush fiercely with embarrassment while looking down at my feet - which are currently refusing to move.

     Way to go, Shadow.

---------------------------------

Future Elena: Still working on editing the chapters. Hopefully after the editing of all of these chapters I can begin updating them again :D And maybe then I can come up with some nice chapter titles XD

Until then, I love you all! Keep reading! (Even if it's not my work because, let's face it, reading is life!)