Ch.2

*Jessie*

Second and third periods I had study halls that I spent in the band room. Mr. Tompkins allowed me a permanent pass to stay for both periods. When he first notice I could play the year before, he had me tutor a couple of other students, since he didn't know how. I asked if he had wanted to learn how he brushed it off saying something on the lines of he was too past his prime to learn.

This year so far, I had no one to teach, so I worked my song book. I didn't have many because I never wanted to get caught at home with it.

Mr. Tompkins turned when heard me come through the door, “Hey, Jess. What is it today?”

I shrugged, “Just another argument at home nothing new.”

He grinned, seeming to know the next question would cheer me up, “What about for the book?”

I couldn't help, but grin. He knew I loved to write songs with Ibz. “Started something new last night, but I was getting stuck.”
He said, “Alright, let's get Ibz out and hooked up.” I was glad he talked as if my Ibanez has a soul, but she was the soul of my lyrics.

I laid down her case down on the floor and pulled my song book out of my bag. Then set on one of the stands in front of me. After, I put my bag down so I could grab Ibz, and plug her in the amp that Mr. Tompkins brought out of one of the sound rooms. He nodded for me to start.

(First part of the song will be written as dialog)

He knew I liked to sing out my songs and this was the only place i could do it without judgement.

I breathed out and started with the instrumental piece at the beginning. Then, started the song, “I look back and see the dusty highway that was once the only way I knew. Would it help if I said I ditched just, so I wouldn’t continue? You see, it was never paved in gold. You may think it was for me, but if you knew, if only you knew.”

I changed chords, “All I ever wanted was to turn around. I knew you’d be waiting for me, but would I be willing to stop? You don’t even know me. Why would you want me if, you knew a sliver of who I was. No one knows, nobody knows who I am.” I slowed my strumming down to a stop.

As I did, he asked, “That it?”

I nodded, “At the moment, yes.”

He thought for a moment, “What do you envision for this verse?”

I paused for a second. This song was supposed to be the metaphor for my life. Then , hit me. I said, “Something along the lines finally noticing that someone was there, but there is still self doubt. Then, show break out or,” I paused and I started writing. There has to be fire for some types rebirth, like the Phoenix.”

I finished some editing, then he said, “Start  with the chords for first verse and see where it goes.”

With my fingers already, I started verse two, “I was burning in flames, the ashes taken over. All that I wanted was someone who would stay. When the dust finally blew the way clear, how could you want to be the way home? You, girl, are the next chapter.You were on the very first page.”

He put his hand up to stopped me, “We know the next part is the second chorus, but is it staying the same?”

I looked it over, “Yeah, it is.” I wrote Chorus in parentheses.

He said, “Okay then, let’s move on to the bridge.” He always waited for me to work it out on my own. I felt like I was plagerizing if he helped me too much, but the way we did it helped me perfectly.

I said , “The realization of the person always being there is what's need, touching apon something from the first verse, and then,” I start writing, “That will lead into basically say ‘how could I not see it.’”