Encounter

Summer’s POV

“Do you really have to do this?” I exasperatedly ask him.

“There’s nothing else I can do to make sure if what I saw is real or not…” He says as he looks at me with those grey eyes.

“Fine…” I said as I glare at him, “I’ll do it.”

He gapes at me as I said it. “Summer,” he starts “this is not your problem, I don’t want to bother you…”

Smiling, I said to him.  “What bothers you, is also bothering me…”

“Just let me check first to make sure that what she had shown you is real.” I reassuringly said to Sterl. He might be a stubborn bastard, but I can’t stop him from worrying over some things that are precious to him.

“You’d do that?” he asks, as his eyes widen in surprise.

“Of course,” I wink at him “you’re my favorite meal…” I laugh as he punches me playfully.

After one last goodbye, I hurriedly got up from where I was sitting and jumped out of his window and made my way to his hometown. Apparently, this warlock girl had shown him some images that made him worry. But what worries me most is as to why she would do that.

I have heard of tales about werewolves being slaves of the warlocks a long time ago until one warlock decided to help them… or as the tale goes. We didn’t really bother learning much about them.

For a day, I reached his past home and hastily searched in the woods for any signs of werewolves. I leaped from tree to tree until my nose was filled with an awful smell. Werewolves really do smell bad with their scent, it was a mixture of earth, sweat and some unexplainable scent.

As quietly as I can, I came closer to the boy and watch him through the darkness of the tree. But I underestimated their senses. The boy must have noticed me and looked straight to me, and I moved away as fast as I could. I don’t want to get involved in an unnecessary fight. I still have to look for their camp, if I’m not mistaken, it must be near here. That boy was clearly a werewolf with how keen his senses are.

But what I don’t understand is how free he is, what Sterl said was the exact opposite. He said that they were being slaves and are being forced to work involuntarily. Doesn’t matter, I’ll find out anyway.

I walk as slow as I could as I have reached their camp. It was lightly guarded and being careful was enough, I just need to know and not let them notice me.

True indeed everyone in their pack was guarded by warlocks, each with their own wands and staffs. Those werewolves were working non-stop, from cooking, to cleaning, to planting crops and to doing chores. No one was exempted even the children.

“Not so clever in hiding, are you?” A woman chuckled behind me. I turn around and recognize the girl. She was the one who had apparently shown those images to Sterl. I stare at her threateningly as she moved closer.

She raised her hand in surrender and smiled. “Don’t worry, I’m on his side…”

I was about to ask her what she meant but she quickly raised her wand and pointed it at me, chanting some spells I didn’t quite understand. I check myself to assess as of what had struck me because I was sure I felt something…

As I attempted to open my mouth, I heard someone call out and walk in our direction. I didn’t dare move, I could smell the person who is so near now. I prepare myself for a possible fight.

“What are you doing here?” a deep voice of a man asked.

“Nothing, just getting some fresh air.” The girl in front of me quickly answered. My heart didn’t stop beating fast and I could feel the sweat running down from my forehead.

The scent of the man got fainter and I realized that he was walking away from us and haven’t even noticed me.

The girl raised her wand again and murmured some spells and in an instant we were both in a dark room where only candles have given light to it.

“What did you do?” I ask after a few minutes of gaping and trying to even my breathing.

“What I did is for you not to blow your cover.” She answered sweetly.

“What?” I asked, not fully understanding what she meant.

She chuckled and sat in her creepy couch, and when I say creepy, it was the kind where the couch has horns and bones near it and on the edges of it. She invited me to sit, but I chose not to and instead stared at her, waiting for her answers.

“Suit yourself,” she said as she rolled her eyes “Back there was a spell, a spell that will render you invisible for a matter of time…” she starts, “That man who talked to me was our leader, Gabriel, he’s quite a trouble if you ask me. So as not to waste your effort of coming all the way here from Rome, I hid you from him.”

“I understand,” I said as I nod, “but why? Why would you do that?” I ask. It’s suspicious that a warlock had decided to help me in times like this.

“Because I don’t want Sterl to lose his companion and only ally in this war…” She answered seriously.

I look at her, trying to figure out what would be her benefit in all these.

“Don’t worry,” she mused as she chuckled, “as I said, I’m on your side…”

Sterl’s POV

I couldn’t stop worrying for him. I really shouldn’t have let him go.

I lie on my bed with my thoughts filled with Patrick, his family, and Summer. Boy, that vampire is quite thoughtful, but I didn’t want him to do this. But my concern for Patrick got the best of me, and if I am to think thoroughly about it, it would be a lot safer for him to go and check them out instead of me.

My thoughts trained to that girl who had shown me Patrick’s images, I wonder why she would do that, and what does it have to do with me? I can’t help but feel sorry for Patrick, he looks so awful in what I saw, how did it even happen in the first place? I thought warlocks were already extinct.

If warlocks are here, then how would I be of help? I have trained to hunt wolves, not people with magical powers.

I groan and got up, deciding to take a walk and get some fresh air. I shrieked as I stumble upon a silver wolf in my porch. I look at it and grabbed my flute only to realize that I know the silver wolf, Vince.

“Vince,” I call, “wake up” only to be replied with a groan. He slowly opened his eyes but can’t keep it open due to his weakness. He shifted to his human form and I had to endure the red blush creeping on my face as I saw his naked body, this is embarrassing.

I help him walk inside and sat him in the couch, I quickly got to Carlo’s room and stole some clothes that would fit Vince. I’m so glad Carlo and Karen aren’t here, saving me the trouble to explain.

I gave him the clothes and he slowly dressed himself up as I prepare some water and warmed leftover food for him.

“What happened?” I ask as he started to munch on the food like he haven’t had eaten for a week.

He gulped down the food he was chewing and drank some water before answering me, “The warlocks are back.”

“So it’s true…” I whisper in shock. Oh my god, if the warlocks being back is true, then Patrick suffering is also real? What I saw was real?

“How did you know?” Vince asks as he gape at me in surprise. I look at him and started to explain how that girl came here and showed me Patrick’s situation and how he was suffering. After explaining, I decided to call Summer and get him back here as soon as he can because the longer he stayed there, the more danger he is in. He promised to come back soon and said that he was already in the Pack and saw everything.

“Vince,” I start, “How do we defeat them and get the everyone back?”

“That is something, the even I don’t know.”