xxi | twenty one

Twenty One : One for the Many

"i had to let go of us to show myself what i could do"

"He's smart, we will find her." Katerina kissed the twins' foreheads, knowing that their bedtime had already past.

The children both said words that outsiders would never be able to understand making a slight frown tug at the corner of the blondes lips.

"I'm sorry, but no. We will find a new house, with lots and lots of new chores and fun things to see." The Blair girl took their hands in hers, hoping that what she was promising had some truth to it.

The heavy door was pushed open, revealing Jake and Emma huddling over a map.

"So have you found Miss Avocet's loop on the map yet?" Enoch asked the question the peculiars were dying to know.

"It's here, but it's new." Jacob showed the map, pointing to a bright red dot. "She made it early this year, that's my year. If we don't get out before it closes, we're stuck in January 2016."

"Great. So, time catches up with all of us, we all die except you. Plan?" The O'Connor didn't need to state the obvious, but that was their fate and Katerina only wished there was another way that both she and he agreed on.

"The loop closes at 4:30, that means we need to get in, rescue the ymbrynes and then get out."

"Yeah, if we're not already dead. Miss Avocet said the machine is in the cellar of the Blackpool tower building."

"That means we will be inside with Hollows crawling everywhere." Caleb held onto to Olive's hand so tightly that he could feel a slight burning through the thick black glove, if Hollows were inside then he was not going inside.

A flash of fear appeared throughout the children's faces, they didn't want to go either, but it was Miss Peregrine.

"No we won't, I've got a plan, but I'm going to need your help." Jakes voice held hope, dispersing it amongst the strange group and praying that they'd be willing to do what he asked.

|

"Jacob." Katerina whispered, pulling him along by his wrist to an empty and silent room.

"Katerina-"

"They won't die Jacob, I won't let them, I won't lose them. . . I've lost too much already. So I need you to promise me something, a vow." She held the Portman boys hands in her frail and thin ones, staring into his comparing eyes.