Thorin sighed. He didn't look forward to going back into that moody forest, but he believed he had no choice.

'Furthermore, there is a chance the enchanted forest will keep the orcs away from us,' Gloin pondered. 'They are close.'

'I rather fight with hundred orcs than go back to that sick forest,' Kili grumbled. 'There, the enemy is invisible.'

Thorin glanced shortly at him while he was torn apart by doubts. They needed the elf. She had been able to bring rest to their minds.

'Let us wait one more day,' Balin proposed.

Thorin stared at the horizon, almost expecting to see the dust clouds of running wargs. It was just a stay of execution. It was a tempting suggestion since he wanted the two to come back, but he knew the chance was little—too little.

Nonetheless, he agreed with Balin's words. 'One more day.'g

After those words, he turned around and searched for seclusion. He took the map and stared at the lines as if he hoped the paper would suddenly reveal a solution.

'Are you jealous?'

Thorin was startled by the sudden words in his head. He had drowsed off a little and looked around alarming. There was no danger to be seen.

It happened more and more in the last days that rags of his conversations with Alyssae floated through his mind.

It was a question he was not able to answer. He was hundred ninety-five years old now, and all those time, he had lived in loneliness. Soon he would be on the throne – if that would ever happen – and there would be nobody with whom he could share his thoughts. There would be nobody who laughed with him, ate with him, or kept his bed warm at night.

He wasn't jealous of Fili, since Alyssae was engaged to an elven prince, and he wondered why she had asked the question. Had she expected an affirmative answer? Had she hoped for it?

His thoughts about her called up confusing feelings, which he preferred to push away. Most of the time, he succeeded in doing so, but when he was confronted with loneliness, they came back all of a sudden.

He had to admit he was pretty shocked when he found out she was engaged, but he didn't want to conclude that. The idea still caused a strange feeling in his stomach, but he rather did not give it a moment's thought. He stood up and walked back to the others, convinced their voices would chase away his reveries about the elf.

Her dress was soaked in blood. She could smell it – the odour of the dead. It was all around her. She stood up. Her legs were shivering and she felt as light as a feather. The world spun around her and she wanted to go back to the numbness she had just awakened from. Her mind was tired and her senses were exhausted.

She knew nothing except that Fili was nowhere to be found. She bet the dwarves weren't waiting for her anymore. Although they had spoken kind words when she left, they would take it back when she would return with empty hands.

But Alyssae was at her end. She was broken. She had no idea when she had changed her place in the trees for the solid ground and she dragged herself forward, without really looking at signs which pointed at the presence of Fili.

She could better turn back, although she didn't know which way to go. Defeated, she leaned against a tree, ready to give in. However, the tree disappeared suddenly and changed into a horrible spider leg. Shocked, she backed down while the animal started to speak to her.

'Are you looking for your little dwarf friend? It won't take long before you meet him again!'

Alyssae touched for her sword, which felt incredibly heavy in her hands. She could not lift it up and with large eyes, she saw how the beast came closer. His mouth terrified her and shook her awake from its dark spell. She let go of the sword and climbed into one of the trees. She had no idea which reserves she used, but she was glad they were there. She got higher and higher. The spider was too big to follow her, although it would undoubtedly call its congeners.