Seventeen

This has not yet been edited! Please excuse any errors!

Night had fallen upon the land of Athena quicker today. People that still remained around the villages locked themselves in knowing what was to come. Rumours had spread about the night quicker than anything they had seen.

Mothers had sent their children into secret tunnels hidden around villages, with the males rushing around to put on armour and find weapons. Something bad was coming and they could feel it. The days of the riders had finally vanished and all had now lost hope. It had been over a year now since the attack on the kingdom, and no one had hope.

As the moon began to rise in the night sky, loud growls and chanting seemed to come from the woods. Those creatures of the night the riders had been able to keep locked away in the forest, now had free reign as the red moon began to make its way higher into the sky.

Walking towards the stone table, Anna gripped the knife tighter in her hand. Lying on the table with nothing on, Markus' pale blue form laid still. All life had ceased when Abagail had killed him, but Anna had other ideas.

When Markus was brought to her, she had called upon all the dark healers she knew in the land to preserve his body. She had great plans for him, and she wasn't about to let Toban ruin them.

Licking her bottom lip, she moved closer. Around the dark room, candles were lit as a few healers began their chant. Their voices echoed off the brick walls, sending shivers down Anna's spine. Gritting her teeth the knifes blade moved along her free hand. Blood oozed out of the wound, some of the red liquid falling to the dirty bricked floor below. Closing her hand into a tight fist, she watched as the blood slide down onto her wrist.

"Are we ready?" she whispered, loud enough for a healer to hear her.

Bowing, she nodded. "Yes, my Queen."

Smiling in satisfaction, she stepped closer to Markus. "Open his mouth."

Doing as told, the elderly healer opened Markus' mouth. Holding out her hand, Anna watched as her blood dripped onto his lips before falling into his mouth. The chanting grew in volume as more healers joined.

Lifting her gaze to the window above her, a smirk formed on her lips. The red moon was finally in the sky, and as it got higher, the feeling of power entered her body.

"With my blood, I bring you back from the dead to serve me!" Shouted Anna. "You will do as I say, and stand by my side."

Clenching her fist tighter, the remaining blood fell past his lips. "Now rise!"

A loud roar echoed through the walls catching the healers off guard. Frowning, Anna looked towards the healer. Bowing, the elderly lady stepped closer. "I feel a change in the air, my queen."

"Meaning?" Turning fully towards the healer, Anna glared down at the frail women.

Swallowing, the healer lowered her head with a small sigh. "I feel the great book has returned."

Gritting her teeth, Anna moved towards Markus. His skin had returned to his normal colour but something was different. Before her eyes she watched as black veins appeared around his eyes and mouth. The dark magic had moved through his veins, affectively bringing him back to life.

Smiling, she lowered her head towards his. Placing her lips on his, she softly whispered. "Awaken, my love."

Eyes snapping open, Markus drew in a deep breath. His eyes were no longer their gentle blue, now they were a deep red. Smirking, Anna moved back. "Welcome back, my love."

***

"So wait-." Griping William's arm, I stared at the people around me. A few more people had joined us, with some children peeking through the adults legs. I had to admit, the children here were very cute. Each one of them had the same pale skin as the elders, their white hair cascading down their backs with small pointy ears peeking through.