Chapter 2

IMPORTANT: I do NOT own the pic!!!

[Rouge's POV]

I was walking beside Shadow, watching him from the corner of my eyes. His condition really concerned me. Shadow had dark circles under his eyes and he looked more dead than alive. I think the last time he had a full night's rest was when he still lived with my mother and me, the days before he decided to leave and live alone.

Flashback

Shadow was sitting in my bed with my laptop in his lap as I came home from school. I stood in the doorway and watched him for a while, wondering when he'll notice me. He sat there shirtless, only wearing his trousers. Shadow still had bandages around his right forearm and wrist, as well as his torso. After a few minutes I sat down on the bed beside him. "Hey Shadow, what are you doing?" I asked and laid my head on his shoulder to see the screen better (and to be closer to my boyfriend). "Hi Rouge, didn't notice you were back already. I'm just looking for an apartment." Shadow replied and I sat up.

"Why are you looking for an apartment? Don't you want to live here?" I asked quickly. "I just don't want to be a burden to your mother." Shadow said. "That's nonsense! You aren't a burden for anyone of us." I replied and placed my hand on top of his. "Rouge, I - *sigh* I really love living with you, but I need to take things in my own hands." my boyfriend replied and I laid my head back on his shoulder. "Fine, but you may find me hanging around at your place a lot." I said with a smirk and he laid his head on top of mine. "As long as you don't leave your mother all by herself it'll be fine." Shadow replied and closed his eyes. "So you don't allow me to move in with you?" I said disappointed with my ears bent back to my skull. "No, at least not yet. I need some alone time for a while." Shadow explained and I sighed

"I'm also trying to find a job and I'll sell my dad's house as well to afford an apartment." Shadow said after a few minutes. "You know, I'll support you in any way I can." I replied and flung my arms around him. "Rouge, would you mind not hugging me that thigh?" Shadow flinched and I realized what I was doing. "whoops, sorry" I said and let go of his upper body. "Thanks" Shadow replied with relief, then continued searching for an apartment.

End of Flashback

I know that Shadow isn't okay but whenever I say anything about it, Shadow would always answer with "I'm fine" or "you don't need to worry about me". I sighed mentally and brought my attention back to the pavement ahead of us. 

There was a crossing ahead of us and the traffic light turned red. We walked a bit farther and I stopped in front of the street. Shadow however didn't seem to notice the red traffic light and continued walking. "SHADOW!" I yelled, grabbed his arm and quickly yanked him back before a truck could approach him.  A few seconds later I came out of my shock and hugged Shadow tightly. "What were you thinking? I thought I'll lose you for a second. Are you okay?" I said quietly. "I'm fine. Sorry, I wasn't watching where I was going." Shadow apologized and hugged me back. 

[Shadow's POV]     

The traffic light turned green again and Rouge crossed the street with me, still holding my hand. My heart was still pounding rapidly against my chest as I realized that I could have died a minute ago. 'I really need to get those nightmares under control' I thought while my girlfriend brought us safely to our school. 

We reached our lockers and I opened mine. Rouge's locker was a few feet father away than mine but it was just a short distance. I grabbed my chemistry book and plugged the sheets that flew out back in. I was about to close my locker when I noticed a person stepping up behind me.

"Hey Emo-hog"

[Narrator's POV]

Shadow turned around and saw Scourge standing in front of him. Fiona, Jet, Wave, Storm and Sally were standing behind him. "What do you want Scourge?" Shadow snarled, letting a grin appear on the green hedgehog's muzzle. "Nothing much, we just wanted to ask you a question." Scourge stated, still grinning from ear to ear.

Rouge, who noticed Scourge's gang appearance, watched closely to what they were doing.

"How was Christmas all by your self?" Fiona asked, leaning against her boyfriends shoulder. Shadow pinned his ears against his head and glared at the couple. Everyone in school knew about the day Shadow's dad was arrested, but nobody except Rouge knew why Mephiles was really put in jail. There were a few rumors going around but nothing of it was true.

"I bet he would've loved to see ya." Storm added and the gang started laughing. Flashbacks of his father's actions were coming back to Shadow's mind and the dark hedgehog was about to cry. "Awww, is the emo-hog about to cry." Sally exclaimed with joy.

"Stop it." Rouge said, getting everyone's attention. "What's the problem, bat-girl? We're just messing around with him." Wave replied with a grin. "You don't know anything about his father." the white bat hissed and Scourge started laughing. "Oh we know everything he's done to him." Scourge teased with an evil green. 

"That's not true." Shadow whispered, he was on the edge of crying. "Take your shirt off and show us your scars." Scourge replied evilly. 'How does he know about Shadow's scars' Rouge thought and looked at Shadow. He stood there like he was frozen on place.

"Yes, we know about everything your father did to you. And you know what? You really deserved all of that." Scourge answered, as if he could read Rouge's mind. Tears were forming in Shadow's eyes but he ran off before they started cascading down his face. Scourge's gang was just laughing as he passed them.

"That was fun." Scourge said and continued laughing. Rouge turned around, her fists clenched. Before Scourge could react, he got punched right into his face and fall to the floor, holding his bleeding nose. Fiona, Sally, Wave, Jet and Storm gasped as the green hedgehog hit the ground. Satisfied, Rouge turned around and ran after her boyfriend.