(16) Raising Madison

Raising Madison

Chapter 16

Brooklyn’s POV

Seeing Preston with Madie warmed my heart and brought a smile to my face. I could see how much he loves her and I have honestly grown attached to both of them. Madie is completely adorable and Preston is a really amazing guy, he’s just been through a lot and needs to work everything out.

“How about you all stay for lunch?” Preston’s mom asked, sounding excited by the idea. Preston looked hesitant as he turned his eyes to me. I shrugged my shoulders, leaving the choice to him.

“I actually have to get back home, I have a lot of things to sort out,” Preston stated, his voice sounding strained and tired.

“Are you sure you’ll be ok with her?” his mom asked worriedly as she looked from him to Madie.

“Yeah, we’ll be fine,” Preston answered, focusing all of his attention on Madie.

His mom didn’t look convinced but had no choice but to let them go. She looked really concerned and I couldn’t blame her but I had a feeling that Preston was going to be just fine, in fact, I am going to make sure that he is. I want to see him and Maddie happy and I am going to do whatever I can to help them.

Preston’s POV

 Brooklyn drove us back home to my apartment while I held Madie in my arms. I was grateful for this because I wasn’t ready to let Madie go yet. It felt like forever since I’ve seen her and I had only myself to blame. I never should have left her but now I’m back and I am going to do everything I can to make up for it. Madie deserves to be happy and I am going to make sure that she is.

When we arrived at my apartment Brooklyn got out and followed us in. I didn’t complain, in fact, I was happy that she decided to stay. She’s been really amazing and I could use all the help I can get. I’m not going to make the same mistake as before and push her away. Madie really likes her and if I’m being honest, I like her too, she’s been a great friend to me even when I treated her like crap.

Brooklyn stayed at my apartment for the rest of the day, helping me with Madie and to get the place back in order. She also insisted on sleeping there again and only went home Sunday afternoon. She really helped me a lot and the more time she spent with Madie the more I appreciated her. I could see how much Madie loves Brooklyn and my heart warmed because of this. She really needs a mother figure in her life and I think Brooklyn is taking that place. I can only hope that it all works out and that Brooklyn will stay in her life because I really don’t want Madie getting hurt.

When Monday came I took Madie to day care and then went to work, hoping that my boss would forgive me and say that I still have a job. It sucked having to beg him for forgiveness but eventually he gave in. He did however give me a warning, saying that if I ever do it again I would be fired immediately.

I agreed and went back to work, knowing that I was never going to do it again, meaning I had nothing to worry about as long as I do my work right.

Brooklyn came by after work to make sure I was ok and instead of getting angry I actually really appreciated it. She didn’t stay long though but insisted that she would come by every night to see if I needed any help.

The week passed by slowly but things were busy falling into place and I was grateful for this. My work was going ok, Madie seemed happy and although I was still confused I felt a lot better. Brooklyn’s constant support helped a lot too and when the weekend came I asked her to go shopping with me and Madie.

I had to replace all the things I broke and shopping with Madie is virtually impossible. She wants to play with everything she sees which makes it difficult to actually get to the things you need.

Brooklyn agreed happily and seemed excited by spending the day with us. Madie ran to her as soon as she entered our apartment and she gave her a huge hug. I couldn’t help but smile as I watched them.

The trip to the mall went smooth with Brooklyn’s help and we managed to get everything bought by lunch time.

“Where would you like to eat? My treat,” I asked Brooklyn as I packed the last things into my car.

“You don’t have to do that,” she replied and I could swear I saw her blush. My insides had a strange reaction to this, a reaction I thought I’d never feel again and I silently cursed myself. I couldn’t have feelings for her, or could I? No, I won’t ever love anybody again. I love Katie and that’s it.

“I want to, you deserve it,” I replied honestly.

“In that case, I really like McDonalds,” she said, smiling at me.

“McDonalds it is then,” I replied, shutting the car door and leading the way back into the mall.